Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

C70 Horrible Misfire, CEL, and Flashing "Shift" Light. HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C70 Horrible Misfire, CEL, and Flashing "Shift" Light. HELP.

Okay, So, I am kinda... "New" to the Volvo scene, however not new to the forum scene (spent 3 1/2 years on Aleromod.com, Proud Olds Alero and Volvo caretaker) But enough about me, Lets get down to the nitty gritty. I have, a rather.... bad... 1998 C70, sitting in my driveway, (Did i mention it's purple?) And it.... for a lack of better terms, WILL. NOT. RUN. RIGHT. EVER! For the car's entire duration of ownership, it has misfired, blown up, spewed large amounts of oil and coolant all over the road, blown boost pipes, blown tires, blown bearings, you name it, this car has probably done it. Now this time i've had enough, and i want answers. Mind you, what i'm about to tell you about, beforehand, it had an intermittent misfire, only present at low acceleration and WOT. Now this thing has this... horrible, HORRIBLE misfire, barely letting the car go above 40mph. The cel is NOT flashing (wierd, eh?) however the little arrow light, the "shift up light" is flashing, also whatever mode the car is in (sport or economy) and the winter mode LEDS are flashing, right below the shift console. The car won't idle, the car won't drive. Everything is hooked up properly, the timing belt isin't due. new plugs and IPD Wires. MSD Ignition, and the iPD Intake box and filter. New MAF. HELP. ME. PLEASE. I hate to see this gorgeous sportscar just.... dying... Thanks for your time....

Oh, and i should mention, i had the entire right side of the engine apart today, pretty much everything under the distributor. I had to replace a split heater hose. >.>

Old 07-21-2011, 07:32 PM

check all hoses especially the big one on top of RADIATOR....that's if it's a turbo....chck for smoke out of dip stick...if any...PCV....

Old 07-21-2011, 07:49 PM

FULL boost pressures. No smoke.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:31 PM

Even thought the check engine light isn't on there could be pending codes in the computer that can be read at any auto parts store. I'd take it somewhere and maybe you'll get a clue where to look. What I said isn't bs either, it worked for me. Had a car that would barely idle and it didn't help much when you gave it gas, but no CEL was on. Took it to Advance and sure enough, cylinder 1 misfire, even though there was no light. Turned out to be a bad spark plug wire. It ran fine after that.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:01 PM

Sounds to me like crank position sensor or cam position sensor or both. They are both plugged into the harness under the distributor. Cam sensor is located on the exhaust cam under the motor mount and the crank sensor is on the bell housing under the distributor. Sounds like you have some tranny issues as well. Might be a good idea to get back in there and make sure you didn't break anything while you were yanking on the heater hose.

I'm right there with you. My 98 S70 wouldnt crank this morning and pulled a P0340. Tested way out of spec so I replaced it. Went ahead and tested the crank sensor while I was there and it spec'd fine. Drove it for about 6 miles and it started misfiring etc...Now its pulling a P0335 crank sensor code along with a bunch of misfire codes. Pretty frustrating. I know how you feel.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:28 PM

I figured out what it was, it was merely a corroded tps pigtail. All fixed now

Old 07-28-2011, 09:51 PM

Cool, good to know it's working now

Old 07-29-2011, 07:22 PM

Nice to see I'm not the only one contemplating car modification with a flame thrower. Ain't old cars FUN?