Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

C70 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C70 Problems

Hi

OK, here goes. I need help as I'm not in the least bit mechanically minded and have the following problems, in my order of importance:

1. Engine idle.

When cold there isn't a problem; the car is fantastic until it warms. Once warm, it develops an irregular idle. When I slow for a stop, turn at low speeds etc it can cut out. I've got around this so far by left foot braking (it's automatic), and holding the revs on my right foot. But as I am about to put it up for sale, I need it done before I can sell it.

2. Lights permanantly on on dash

SRS light and water coolant light permanantly on. Water level is correct and SRS light did get sorted, but came back on one day and has been on since.

3. Electric window now won't go back up

This happened yesterday while at work. I got an electrician to check out what he could and he told me there is "definite power going to the switch". So it leads me to believe that either the switch and/or motor has probably packed in - where can I get a replacement?

4. Radio antenna doesn't go up and down.

This is permanantly down. I can hear the motor (I think) trying to work but nothing is happening.

This car is an LPG conversion, don't know if this will contribute to the idling problem? It's a 2.4 T5 auto on a 98/99 plate.

Again, any help would be gratefully appreciated. I have already been told by others to check the fuel ECU, throttle housing/body??, automatic choke and am getting quite p***ed. If anyone knows of a solution it would be awesome

Thanks

Andy

Old 10-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Default RE: C70 Problems

Im not sure about all the problems but i'll help with the ones I know....

The coolant level light may be one because of a bad sensor. This is a cheap fix, you can get a new sensor from a local dealership and then remove your coolant resevoir, pull the old sensor and put a new one in. It also may be good if you have the ability to remove the resevoir, and flush it with a hose to remove any residual gunk.

Your window sounds like the regulator is bad. Happens with some cars. best bet is to try and find a junk yard with some C70's, S70's or V70's, and see if you can pull the regulators from them (only if the door isn't mangled). Or if you want to spend the money, you can get a new one from the dealer, but they aren't cheap! then swap them out!

the antenna mast needs to be replaced. You can buy a new one and swap it out, if you do a search there is a thread on how to do it on here. But be careful, cuz if the gears are stripped, then you need to replace the whole mechanism, and thats over 100 dollars.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:50 PM

Hi

Thanks for the reply, some interesting things to think about. I have fixed the window; my door switch burnt out which was located at a main dealer for 94 pounds. High price but brand new and looks alot better.

I was already planning to flush the hoses out but will take your advice on the sensor replacement, if it's a cheap fix, why not? I'll ask the main dealer how much a new antenna mast is likely to be priced and take it from there; if it's reasonable then I'll get it from there, or if not I'll just have to search around.

Thanks again

Andy

Old 10-28-2007, 12:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't say the year of your C70, but if it is 1999 or later, you may be having problems with the Electronic Throttle Module (ETM). Cleaning it may help, upgrading the SW also helps, and sometimes they need replacement.

Have you checked engine codes?

The coolant light resevoir has a magnetic ring that floats inside the resevoir. These tend to stick at the bottom of the resevoir, causing the light to stay on.

B

Old 10-28-2007, 04:19 PM

Hi

It's a 98/99 model. Again, sounds like a good possibility and if it is likely to require a clean from time to time then it's worth a shot.

Thanks!

Old 10-28-2007, 05:54 PM

Here in the U.S., there is a big difference between the 1998 and 1999 model.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:02 AM

Hi

It is 98 model, but registered in 99.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:36 PM

The 1998 model doesn't have an electronic throttle system (at leaset in the U.S.). You should have a conventional throttle system.

Again, you need to check for trouble codes and go from there.

You may have a vacuum leak that is causing the idle problem, or something is failing, like the MAF.

Where are you with the other issues?

Old 11-03-2007, 06:49 AM

Hi

The window is now done, the switch had burnt out. A new one from a Volvo dealer corrected that. The radio antenna and dash lights still to be sorted, however I will flush the water coolant system out and see if it corrects that light and as for the SRS light, I am going to take it to a local garage that fixed it before. I only really need it out for the MOT, as it was on the advisable list from the last one.

Has anyone got any alloy wheels for a C70, ideally 18" for sale?