Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

should i get a c70?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i get a c70?

i have a 99 s80 and its a great car but recently its given a lot of problems and costed a lot. i love the look of the c70 but is it a good car or should i stay away from it? my brother has a honda and he rips it all the time, nothing ever goes wrong, only a few noises here and there and he gets them fixed for cheap. let me know ur honest opinions

Old 07-12-2007, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: should i get a c70?

You are going to spend more to maintain any Volvo than you spend on an Accord. But if I have an Accord and a Volvo setting side by side in garage in the morning,I'm taking the Volvo more than90% of the time. That's why I sold all my Japanese cars and own nothing but Volvo's. IMO it's just a better car to drive.

The older C70's are known to have quite a few problems though, but many people just love them despite the problems. Personally I was going to buy one, took it for a test drive and said no way am I getting rid of my 850 R for one of these. The power windows did not work and the sunroof sounded like it was going to fall out. Both very common problems with the C70 and from what I understand you live with the rattling sunroof and to fix the power window is quite expensive for each door. It had a great sound system though!

I am not familiar with the newer C70's.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:09 PM

Yes. And right away.

Seriously, you should check out the C70. Sure it will require some amount of additional maintenance, time, and down-the-road repair costs than a Honda Accord (a fine car make and model that I've also owned in the past), but the additional enjoyment will be worth it. (You only go around once in life, and should grab all of the convertibles that you can.)

I have been 100% happy with my 2007 C70 so far, albeit with limited miles on it. My car has had zero problems so far. That said, thenew C70 model was not without teething problems, although most of these seem to have been with the 2006 and early 2007cars,and have since been at least mostly sorted out. Time will tell with the roof mechanism, but at least the rest of the car is based on a well-tried platform. If you wait for the 2008's (just starting to show up - there is even one on eBay that is listed both as a 2007 and a 2008 due to eBay posting limitations, but has a 2008 VIN, and the new wood trim), you will get a few more hp, and one or two other new things.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:20 PM

the c70 is beautiful but i dont know if i would pick it over my accord all the time, i really love my honda, heres some pics so u can see what i mean, and im interested in the new body style c70s and i guess i will wait for maybe one more model so they can fix any problems the previous gens had
http://i15.tinypic.com/4tap820.jpg
http://i8.tinypic.com/53t04uw.jpg
http://i7.tinypic.com/6bko9pl.jpg

Old 07-13-2007, 11:20 AM

Prince,

Your Accord does look nice - esp. with the rims and low-profile tires.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:26 PM

If you want to be like everybody else that buy a Honda- agreat car and company but not a lot of exclusivity. I can say that one in every 10 Honda are either lowered,bodykits exhaust, etc. No orginality to it. Great cars but to many. The volvo does cost on repairs but buying any european car is like that.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:23 PM

ORIGINAL: rschleicher

Prince,

Your Accord does look nice - esp. with the rims and low-profile tires.
a little to low, i feel everysingle bump in the road LOL, but its worth it for the car to look like that!

Old 08-13-2007, 06:51 PM

i used to own a honda civic 2001... i have nothing against it actually, perfromance-wise it was good... i rarely got problems with it, usually problems caused by improper maintainance by ehem -- me. i sold my civic and used the money in addition to my savings to buy a volvo s40. well, i got the chance to buy a volvo s40, -- though you're concerned with the c70 -- i would say it really needs regular maintainance and care but it's all worth it... i can say that having a volvo is worth all the penny. as of now, i'm not having any trouble with my car, well maybe because of regular car check-up.
i would recommend you buying a C70... personally, i like having one as well. i like its look, interior & exterior. Specs seem good as well.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:30 PM

Wow! Two totally different automobiles!

I have a 2004 champagne colored Honda Accord V6- which I love, very practical, no problems at all, sun roof, leather interior, etc. A nice looking & comfortable car.It handles beautifully on all levels. Holds 4 adults easily & travels well. Great value for the money (I got mine at the end of a model year - had a certain amount in my "car account" and the dealer had trailers on the lot delivering new vehicles, so he had plenty of incentive to get things off the lot.)Super dealer service,readily available,when you need it. You'll be totally inconspicuous in the Honda; it's "plain Jane"! (But definitely not "low rent" looking.)

I also owna 2007 "Passion Red" C70 - there is NO way to be inconspicuous in this car.
On the pro-side: Nicknamed "SmileCar" because you're going to smile if you drive this car for any distance at all! (or, even if you look at it in the garage!) Great fun to drive, I have driven it with the top down in December, at night, in North Carolina & been perfectly comfortable. Putting the retractable convertible roof up/down is always an attention getter; (you can meet a lot of people this way!) Seats are very comfortable, great adjustment. Stereo system is "ace". Personally, I usually travel alone, so trunk space for me has been fine, even allowing for the top down. (You wouldn't take this car to your local "big box" store for stocking up though.) 4 seater was one of my "must haves" and so were the safety features.
On the con: have had problems with roof rattles: needed a part which took months to get (had to be shipped from Sweden, and first shipment came in mislabeled boxes.) And, it has had 10 "service bulletins" and1 recall (I think) since I bought it. Putting 4 adults in this car can be done, but the back seaters are going to either have to be very small or smushed. Traveling with 4? Better pack light!

Would be happy to answer any questions you have about these vehicles - good luck with your shopping!

Old 11-04-2007, 03:58 PM

I am also thinking of buying a C70 convertible. I am looking to buy used, so are the older C70 models alright? It is a beautiful car to look at. I used to have a 2000 BMW 323 convertible. How does the C70 compare to it?
Any opinions?

Thank you

Old 11-04-2007, 05:30 PM
reg

two entirely different autos Magic. I own both a BMW and a c70. Front wheel drive is the bane of the c70. The BMW has it all over the c70 in the performance catagory. But..............the c70 is simply a terriffic looking auto that althought is horribly costly to maintain, is a pleasure to own. The radio, interior, timeless styling, and comfort is what will keep me from selling it.

r.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:58 PM

Thanks for the advice and opinion. I am not interesed in the performance anymore. What I like is a nice and smooth ride. I never had any problems with the BMW. What worries me a bit is the repution the C70 has of a troublesome car with lots of ****ling and major problems.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:43 PM
reg

Well that they do have.............the repairs. You will find that the hard top is less costly than the convertible as to cost of ownership. Just the cost of the top in a used convertible will set you back a pretty penny. They simply are not a Chevrolet. The shop charges $100.00 p/hour to work on them whereas the Chevy dealer is ar $55.00 p/hour. I just came back from a 200 mile drive and the ride was terrific and the mileage (premium gas of course) was 30mpg. The Dynaudio speakers that Volvo uses in the c70 were excellent playing through the Volvo surround-sound head unit. The seats are extremely articulated and can be positioned exactly and the lumbar support is fine. It's a nice auto.

r.