Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Creaking noise when wheel is cut either way. Steering Stops?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creaking noise when wheel is cut either way. Steering Stops?

Of course my car was just in for service last week and a couple of days ago this creaking/groaning sound has started whenever i cut the wheel all the way or almost all the way in either direction(when making a u-turn, parking, 3-point turn).

I've searched past posts on websites and it appears that it might be the steering stops. I called the sevice manager i usually deal with and asked him if this was the problem. He informed me that it more than likely is and that it shouldn't be anything to worry about. I'm driving up to Maine from NY in 2 days and just wanted to make sure.

I saw in one of the posts that it might be possible to tempoarily grease the Stops. Anybody know how to do this? From what I understand all you need to do is cut the wheel in either driection all the way and you'd be able to see the stop.

Anybody know what the stops looks like? what kind of grease to use/how much?

i know i was told it was nothing to worry about but i'd prefer not to hear this horrible noise when i need to park in a spot or make a u-turn, let alone have the people outside looking at my car wondering what that noise is. Thanx in advance!

Old 05-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Creaking noise when wheel is cut either way. Steering Stops?

If you turn the wheel all the way one way on the front of the control arm you will a white peice of plastic.That is the steering stop.You can use wheel bearing grease or a silicone grease and just slop some on there and then don't worry about it till it makes noise again.