Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Driver Seat Release - Broken

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 04:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Seat Release - Broken

I have a problem with my 1999 C70, whereby I cannot release the drivers seat back (to flip it forward and allow passengers in and out of the back seats).

I have read the several threads covering this topic, but cannot figure out how I get at the release cables !!

If I lift the seat release lever on the side of the seat, it has tension on it and I can feel the cable running accross to the other side of the seat moving - so I guess that part is OK. Also, if I pull the orange handle accessible from the rear seats, this lifts the release lever in the side of the seat - so again I guess that part of the mechanism is working.

From this I figure out that the problem is the link between the release lever and the 'catch' below it on that side of the seat.

Although everyone appears to be saying that there is a 'Y' cable from the release lever, before reading this I found a small metal rod/wire underneath the seat, and figured this was a link between the lever and the catch - am I totally wrong here ? Is this from somewhere else ? (it is about 8 inches long and has a loop at each end, and is approximately as thick as a metal coat-hanger).

Either way, I need to be able to get at the mechanism / cables, and cannot find the 'loops' referred to which have to be cut to get the seat leather off / loosened.

Can somebody help me here ? I have spent ages looking at this, and so far can only find the cable running from one side to the other - which as I said appears OK.

Help......

Andy.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Driver Seat Release - Broken

The rod you found is for support where the 2 pieces of leather come together.

Feel where the top and bottom of the seat come together. Feel right in the middle of the top section where they meet. Run your hand from side to side feelong for metal rings. There should be about 4 or 5 of them.

If you cant find them let me know I will take pics of my 850 which is a similiar setup and post them.