Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

First time Volvo owner, '08 C70, have replaced A LOT so far.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2023, 01:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time Volvo owner, '08 C70, have replaced A LOT so far.

So I was looking for Saab 9-3 in October and couldn't find one that I wanted. Ive always thought Volvos were sexy too but then I saw the posting for a passion red C70 with a hardtop and I was sold. Too sold. I made an emotional buying decision. I bought the car online from a dealership 600 miles away, without ever actually touching the car. Had it shipped to my driveway. It was at this point I began repairing and replacing all the things that the previous two women owners just completely ignored. Which was literally everything. So far I've replaced...

One day was driving, it started missing. Losing power. Replaced cylinder 3 coil pack.

Two tires were so worn on the inside they were showing steel belt. The tech said it looked like the tires had never been balanced or rotated The other two were wearing the insides as well.

Got an alignment, tech said the front tires were toed out a full degree and backs were cambered . 7 degrees. Couldn't align front right because... Bum bum bum... Bent strut..
So now I'm replacing the front struts. Oh and the back shocks are shot. Like shot shot. Fluid leaking out of them. I am going to buy some Bilstein shocks and I'm not sure what struts I'm gonna get yet but that's a priority fix in the next week or so.

Right rear brake caliper kept getting stuck. I fixed myself came to realize it was caused by using parking brake. I just disengaged it. No problem since.

Started car to let it warm up one morning, came out and it was pissing coolant. Like gushing coolant in the driveway. Come to find out it was that dreaded octopus coolant hose at the 3 way split point there's a plastic connector that splits apart and it's a super pain in the *** to get to. Took about 3 or 4 hours of cursing and I got a new one in there.

Both front door speakers blown within 2 months. Performance audio package. Replaced with two Infinity Primus 6.5 coaxial speakers. Removed factory component tweeters.
After I get the suspension fixed in the next week or so I'm hoping and praying that is all for a while. All of this within the first 6 months of owning this vehicle. I realize that it was neglect from the two housewives who drove it into the ground before me and my fault for buying it without driving it first. The dealership said they replaced the front axles.. they are new. New bushings on the rod ends and sway bar links looks like too. I have had a check engine light since the second month I've had it. Runs great, was gonna pull a code on it but I've got enough issues right now with suspension that it can wait.
So that's my new Volvo owner experience so far. Tell me it gets better. Lol. Thanks for letting me rant.

Old 02-22-2023, 07:46 PM

I hope the top works 👍🏻

Old 03-20-2023, 04:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You wrote you got it from the dealer. Any warranty? If it was a Volvo Dealer, or even a reputable one (Mercedes, BMW, etc.) and, with all the part problems and easy eye-ball problems, they should have fixed those before you received the car. Did you write to them and let them know? Did they offer any extended warrenty?

All good things to know before you et a C70!

And yeah - it IS a pretty car!

Tedders
Drive Laughing!

Old 03-31-2023, 06:31 PM
Default Worth it

Now you have an awesome vehicle though. I’ve found giving a car TLC, even after cursing and busted knuckles, you’ll love it that much more. Excited for you!