Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Ford parts for C70's...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford parts for C70's...

Was wondering, some of my friends were talking smack at me for getting a Volvo C70 and said that I essentially got a Euro-Ford. Now I know Ford owns Volvo (and the way Ford bleeds money, not sure for how long they will be able to keep it), but is there any parts that are Ford specific on the C70? Anything that can fit on a Ford model here in the States, and is also used in the C70? Or is Volvo fully independent from Ford, parts-wise, and you cannot simply go to a Ford dealer for a repair or part? Might even be a cheaper option if so.

- Henry

Old 01-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Default RE: Ford parts for C70's...

Yeah, this is an interesting question. The C70 is based on a beefed-up S40 platform, and there are lots of obvious similarities there. The S40 platform in turn has some degree of commonality with the Mazda 3-series (or whatever nomenclature Mazda uses), as well as some combination of Ford Focus and/or Fusion. But I don't see much in the way of visible similarities, even with little bits and pieces in the interiors. Certainly the T5 engine is uniquely Volvo. Perhaps the only commonality is in the basic chassis and underpinnings, basic chassis dimensions, etc. Even there, the different cars are going to receive different chassis tuning, reflecting theie weight differences, weight balance differences, the extra stiffening for the convertible, etc.

I don't really see a problem with platform sharing, especially if it leads to a better-engineered platform to begin with. (Although it is certainly possible to overdo it, leading to too many look-alike cars. I don't think the C70 suffers from this!) I guess it is trickier if you are spanning a broad price range, and doing nothing more than "badge engineering".

Old 01-11-2007, 05:53 PM

There is a bunch of Ford parts on my C70, they have stickers that say Ford. Look carefully around the engine compartment and bellow the car. I saw them while changing my oil!

Old 01-11-2007, 08:24 PM

I wonder if they coorespond to a domestic model or not? If so, is it cheaper to get the domestic model version as opposed to the official Volvo version... (things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm)

- Henry

Old 01-11-2007, 08:36 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The old c70 that I drive is strickly Volvo..........built on the 850 chassis. Ford had interest in Volvo in 2002 when it was manufactured but left the c70 alone. Now, I had a Mazda Millenia that used the Ford small six. When the knock sensor failed I attempted to purchase the Ford unit but it was not a swap and I needed a more costly Mazda sensor. So, Whereas Ford has interest in Volvo, you may well find that there is no comonality of parts swapping other than the designs are predicated on a Ford product. Volvo used the chassis from a Mazda 3 for the basic chassis on the 40 series. According to the Volvo dealer I utilize, there is very little in common and that dealer also sells Mazda.

r.