Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

intermittant starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 04:23 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default intermittant starting

TECH............it's been a while since I was last on the forum. My old (02) c-70 now has the dreaded intermittant starting where the vehicle starts and immediately stops. After several attempts it will start and continue running. I searched the FAQ and could not find any threads on this subject.............but I know it has been discussed before. With that stated, what was the most common cause of this problem. I know it is not the antenna ring as that was replaced a year ago. I have not been driving the auto for several months as I use it primarily as a winter beater. It has been on a battery maintainer however.

Suggestions??

Reg.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c70 - 2000- starting stall

I have had the same issue for years and since no code is thrown it makes it almost impossible to diagnose let alone the countless hours of me staring at every square inch of the motor, electrical and emissions systems….its led me to nothing more than a headache. I too replaced the antenna ring in addition to the etm....however randomly the car will not stay running it would start, rev to 1500 rpm then die....numerous subsequent attempts to start would not even start at all, it will just turn over with all the dashboard lights on...it sometimes will take up to 15 minutes for it to finally start....i love my car but this issue has frustrated me for over 3 years.....what really kills me is that I am pretty darn good mechanic that can fix almost anything….except my c70….

Old 09-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a step back and determine what could cause this intermittent issue. Start with the basics and work more in depth.
1. Test wires from key cylinder and make sure it is working properly
2. Rule out fuel pump and relay from the equation
3. Insure that immobilizer box plug is seated securely, for giggles unplug and replug back in place.
4. Test voltage at immobilizer box, have read maybe 2 posts in the past in which this was a problem(not sure on exact voltage but I recall it is less than 12v,not certain though Tech would probably know)
5. If it is acting up, use a code reader and see if somthing shows up. Unless your reader can understand the specific codes, this may be a waste of time.
6. Antenna ring even though replaced a year ago may be bad. Unplug/replug and insure it is seated properly.
7. Insure that no other RFID tags are on the key ring, best if it is just the key and the factory FOB.

Hope you guys resolve your issues, keep us posted.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Imobilizer Location

Thank you for your response....I did check out the fuel pump and relay and that was fine, so my next step is to check the imobilizer, however I cant seem to locate on the car...any suggesstions is appreciated...thanx again

Old 09-26-2010, 07:49 PM
reg

I have the auto at the dealer................again. He also was thinking along the lines of the fuel pump. MKC, you are spot on re: loose connections. a couple of years ago I had this same issue and when the Volvo tech could not determine the problem, the district tech paid a visit to the dealer. It was decided that a new computer would be installed. when the new box came in and the old box was being removed, it was determined that the main wire plug under the box was 'loose'. At any rate, like psychlussler, I have truly enjoyed my c-70 and it is in the 40,000 mile range but I have had it with all of its ****ling issues and am concidering tomorrow purchasing a Hyundai Genisis Coupe. The Volvo dealer has had my auto for a week now and so I probably will not get the issue fixed. I am sure this will have a poor outcome as it pertains to the trade in value of the Volvo.

reg

Old 09-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by reg
I have the auto at the dealer................again. He also was thinking along the lines of the fuel pump. MKC, you are spot on re: loose connections. a couple of years ago I had this same issue and when the Volvo tech could not determine the problem, the district tech paid a visit to the dealer. It was decided that a new computer would be installed. when the new box came in and the old box was being removed, it was determined that the main wire plug under the box was 'loose'. At any rate, like psychlussler, I have truly enjoyed my c-70 and it is in the 40,000 mile range but I have had it with all of its ****ling issues and am concidering tomorrow purchasing a Hyundai Genisis Coupe. The Volvo dealer has had my auto for a week now and so I probably will not get the issue fixed. I am sure this will have a poor outcome as it pertains to the trade in value of the Volvo.

reg
I like the Genesis coupes as well. Considering that your dealer has had the vehicle a week it is probably something way off in left field. Gonna place my bet on green 00 and call the CDM for giggles, GL.

Immo by column.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:03 AM
reg

MKC.............Volvo zone tech thinks the imobilizer.............we'll see. I picked up a Genesis coupe 3.8 Track yesterday. Tsukuba Red with nav system, xenons, and etc. The auto is quick (I opted for the automatic) and a real eye turner! 19 inch wheels with Brembo brakes.........13.6 inch rotors to boot. It was a good deal at $34,000.00 especially considering the long warranty. Earlier this year(Feb) I bought a Hyundai Sonata Limited and that too is a real bargain! Still have the Hartge BMW, the MX-5, and the austin Healey...........................and will rid myself of the c-70. Thanks for your input re: starting issue. I'll let you know the final diagnosis.

reg