Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Intermittent Passenger Power Window Issue.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent Passenger Power Window Issue.

I believe I have a bad motor on the passenger side window. This is on a 2002 C70 convertible. If I don't drive the car or use the window for a period of time, not sure what the duration is, then the window won't operate. It doesn't matter which button you use, driver or passenger button, and it won't drop down when the top is lowered. It never stops halfway down, or goes down and won't go back up. If I use it every day the window works fine.

When it doesn't work, it simply refuses to budge. It won't go up partway, go up and refuse to go back down, or go down and refuse to go back up. It just doesn't work.

If I pull the door panel off, and, using a separate battery, disconnect the motor switch and jump the motor, it will work after a couple of tries. Then all is well until it again sits for a week or so. I can run it up and down, up and down, up and down, with no issues. The cables appear to be in good shape with no fraying, grinding noises, or bad pulleys that I can see.

My question is do I have to replace the whole regulator thingy to fix this issue or is the motor replaceable? I tried to take it off the gearbox but had no success, and didn't want to damage anything beyond repair.

Any help and/or advice would be gratefully appreciated. TIA.

Howard

Old 06-02-2015, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

Tascaparts.com show both a motor and a regulator assembly - motor is 400 and regulator is 575 so it sounds like you may be due a trip to a recycle yard. Did you check if the regulator spacer is in good shape - ie the regulator is properly aligned? Wondering if it could be a motor gear is jamming or if the window is binding. Have you tried to manually help the window up with the door card off? (not sure if that's possible but thought I'd ask)

Old 06-03-2015, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply MT. I've not tried to move the window manually, just connecting a power source to the motor directly does the trick, but it sometimes can take a couple tries. So I know something is hanging up a little bit, and my money is on the motor. I'm thinking there may be a bad spot on the armature, or the brushes are stopping in a semi-bad spot, and if they sit there for a couple days they no longer make a good enough connection to operate. I really need a load tester to actually do a decent job of tracking this problem down. Then I could see if the motor that is giving me trouble pulls more load than the other one. That would help narrow things down some more, but alas, I don't have one.

Thanks for the suggestions, and you're right I may be headed to the breakers.