Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Momentary "sputter" while driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Momentary "sputter" while driving

Hi All, and thanks in advance for any advice or insight anyone can provide. About 3 weeks ago, I was driving my 2004 C70 convertible down 95 at about 70mph. All of a sudden, there was a sputter, and apparently a momentary loss of power (because the radio stopped playing for a split second)... and then it went back to normal. I was a bit spooked, especially being on the highway, so I pulled off at the next exit and went into a parking lot to see what might be going on. But there was nothing. It was running fine. I gave it some gas and no sputter or stutter. On the way home, however, it did it three more times at random intervals. It's almost like it's about to die (a couple of times I shifted into neutral because it felt like it was going to stop.)

Anyone have an idea of what might be going on? Thanks!

Old 07-01-2016, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

I'd start wiggling wires around the battery terminals, feel for warmth and other connectors, cleaning and tightening where possible. It could be an ignition switch, battery issue, or the alternator/voltage regulator, connector or relay (I'd probably stash a spare fuel pump relay in the glove box but given the radio drop out, I'd suspect a system issue).

If it happens again, when you try to restart try wiggling the key.

MT

Old 07-02-2016, 06:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C70 2004 Electrical

Follow previous suggestions. I would closely inspect the ignition key cylinder in the steering wheel as mine failed in my 98 and had to replace it. Mine is a 2 piece cylinder and I managed to get a replacement off e-bay with 2 keys. Now have a door/trunk key and an ignition key like the old days. Good luck and let us know your remedy. Happy cruising when it is repaired. My 98 just turned 56k miles. Drivers door window function still not perfect after complete system replacement with new, not salvaged, parts.