Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

My doors are tough to open from the outside...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My doors are tough to open from the outside...

When I go to open my doors to my car, they are really really hard to open. The handle seems to pull out 1/2 way, then you need to reef on it to get it to unlatch. Passenger side door is way harder then the drivers door. When exiting the car from the inside, the door handles operate really easy, as they should. I have no problem with it, but everyone I know complains about it. Any ideas on what to check when I pull my door skins off?

Thanks.

S.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:20 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: My doors are tough to open from the outside...

Maybe try some slight lube in the latches.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:41 PM

I'll go give that a try. Thanks. To reference a door inside a house. You know when say like an entry door is not lined up properly, and you go to unlock it, but the lock is super tough to turm, but if you push the door in to take the pressure off the latch, it works fine? Kiinda seems like that.

Keep the ideas coming, if you have more?

s.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Well the outside handle has a cup in it that locks onto the latch assembly. You might be able to pull the little rubber cap off the rear part of the door. The you can see the latch and lock rod using a flashlight. Maybe try spraying that as well.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try rolling the window down and see if that changes anything.

The windows are a bear to adjust correctly, and will cause the problem you are talking about.

If you peek into the latch area and close the door slowly, the male catch on the body should be lined up in the middle of the latch on the door. If it isn't, you can adjust the catch on the body and that should help.

Try closing the door with the window down, and keep the outside handle in the opening position (don't let the door latch )and feel how the door mates with the body. Compare it with the other door. It can give you an idea as to where the binding is from.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be carful when adjusting latch and try getting the linkage back in place.. if the little phillips screw attached to handle falls off u may have to dissamble the window assembly to get it out and re-align everything... good luck...

Old 11-18-2007, 03:37 PM

Hey mncx, I'm not sure what you mean, the latch (on the door) in not adjustable.

He should adjust the catch on the body.

B

Old 11-18-2007, 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: tripleb
I kinda thought that too, but since there is no resistance when opening the door on the inside I figured otherwise.

S.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Inside the door. The outer door handle hooks to the lock unit.... on the lock unit the linkage itself is a phillips head screw that the handle hooks onto. becareful if u turn that screws too much it will pop off lock unit and it's a pain to put back. I hope this help At times it pops out of linkage but not all the way out. I've seen that the cause of handle being tight but still can be open.

Hey mncx, I'm not sure what you mean, the latch (on the door) in not adjustable.

B

Old 11-19-2007, 09:39 PM

You know what, I forgot about that adjustment, thanks for the reminder. I've spent probably a hundred hours working on these coupe windows, doors, and convertable tops when they first came out, and I just remember how long it takes to get all the adjustments correct so the doors open and close correctly, and there are no air or water leaks. They are never simple! Hope it is for this guy.

By the way, what is the status of the door Shaun?

Old 11-19-2007, 09:46 PM
Administrator

You know what, I forgot about that adjustment, thanks for the reminder. I've spent probably a hundred hours working on these coupe windows, doors, and convertable tops when they first came out, and I just remember how long it takes to get all the adjustments correct so the doors open and close correctly, and there are no air or water leaks. They are never simple! Hope it is for this guy.

Im right there with you.
When they first came out I was the first one in the shop to do a regulator and the convertable top.
Both are a pain to replace.
What is even worse is when you haev to remove the regulator just to replace the lock assembly.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:01 PM

Good to know someone else was in the same boat!

I think the worst part was the novel you have to write to get warranty to cover 1/2 your time!

I did like fixing the tops though, except replacing the headliner!

B

Old 11-19-2007, 10:19 PM

Sadly I havent had a change to get into it yet. I was sick this past weekend, so my car was not the priority. I will try to get to it tomorrow, and will update with my findings.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Shaun

Old 12-12-2007, 12:41 PM

please do... i am having the same issue.. i probably wouldnt have complained - but since this thread is here..

i have the same issue - door easily opens from inside, not from outside.. as i tell my friends, "you gotta open it like you mean it..." i swear it is funny though, getting inside the car, and then looking to the right and seeing that your friend is just standing there holding onto the handle of an unlocked door.. "waiting for something?"

i will get in there with a flashlight as well and see whats up...

also having problem with the key/lock (sort of a problem)... if i lock it, then immediately unlock it (using the key in the door), it wont pop up all the way unless i unlock it a 2nd time..

if i don't accidently lock it first, and try and unlock it - no problem..

Old 12-12-2007, 02:17 PM

OK, I just braved the cold. So I hope at some point someone find this useful. my lock broke last week. it would not open from the outside at all. Inside, was still fine. same tension as past.

First I popped the black cover off on the door side to reveal two torx screws.... Nothing happening there. I ended up pushing the lock striker closed by hand.... but then it would not open. F%^& I thought as its 3:00 and its gettign dark, and my garage had a dismantled jeep in it right now.

So I ended up popping off the inner door panel to reveal a mess (but thats another story) with the panel off, I could see if I wanted to go into there properly I would need to remove a whole lot more then i had daylight for. Back to the torx screws under that black cap. I removed them. and wiggled the part of the handle that does not move (on the drivers door it has the key hole in it) and the lock popped open. I was able to open the door from the outside, without much pressure ( like it should be)

I did however find that you still kinds needed to open the door in a solid movement ( a la taking off a band aid) opposed to real slow. When I did it slow, it would not open... Any ideas?

Old 10-17-2010, 06:01 PM

my door was hard to open..and now the latch on the door is broken..it will not stay...do i need to remove the whole window regulator to get that part out..and if do should the window be up or down?thanks