Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

New owner, some questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner, some questions

I just bought a 99 C70 with 126k and I have a few questions because I don't know if they're problems that need fixing or just quirks. I searched but didn't turn up with many results.

1) when pulling into a parking spot, the steering effort will go firm then soften up a bit. I've only noticed it turning left for now. I understand where as other vehicles have hard stops, Volvos have a softer stop that would do this, but I don't know if I'm near lock yet.

2) there is a leak on the driver (U.S.) side above the halfshaft and front lower control arm bushing area. The fluid looks black I thought it was oil, but when I got under there I see it's the transaxle and it's leaking out of whatever that cover is. Leaks seem to go as high as the center of a circular area on the cover. Don't know if it's one spot leaking down or just all over the gasket. Seems to be much wetter at the bottom.

3) turbo leak. I've seen a bunch of posts that say this is normal and the fix is fairly easy. Question is do I even need to replace the gasket or just let it leak? I mean, I don't have a problem with leaks/seeps as long as it's not a problem and doesn't get worse.

4) when looking for parts (depending on the part, maybe from a junkyard), what is the C70 compatible with or does it vary with part? For example I want to get seats as mine are worn out. Are the seats interchangeable with S/V/XC70 or 850? Are engine parts interchangeable with other models with same engine? I think I have the LPT.

5) the passenger side window goes up fine, then about 75% up it slows down, struggles, then the last 10% it's fine again. I pulled the panel off but didn't see anything broken. Couldn't see much really, window isn't tilting. I've seen that window regulators are a weak point in these vehicles, but mine's not broken (yet), it just has a rough spot. Is this the start of the end for the regulator or can I fix it before it gets worse?

Thanks, that's it for now. Just when I was getting used to my other car I have to go and get a Volvo and learn all about Volvos...

Old 10-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: New owner, some questions

1. The steering gets pretty stiff kind of because the turning sucks so bad.

2. I would clean it and see the exact area it comes from.

3. If the turbo is wet normal. If the block is wet by where the pipe goes into it then replace the seal. Clean it and see.

4. Motor is the same as the S70 but most other parts are only C70 specific and some cannot even be had from a vert either.

5. Sign of regulator going bad. A little bit of silicon spray on the wheels and cables might help a little.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:48 AM

Thanks for the great info.

Re: #1, when I hit the high efforts, can I keep going or should I stop? I don't want to unnecessarily work the power steering pumps and cause a leak. High efforts is not the stop, right? Would I know when I've actually bottomed out on the stop (like other cars)?

#5 I saw the cable and wheel is at the back edge of the door where there's access. Still has grease on it. Is there another wheel up front where I couldn't see?

Old 10-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Administrator

1. You will know when you hit the stops. I wouldn't worry about it.

5. There is 4 wheels total. That is what fails on the regulators. The wheel will break and you are SOL.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:01 PM

Additional info. While under the car, I noticed another oil leak in the area behind the timing belt cover, about even with the bottom of the heat shield. Some oil is dripping on what looks like the water pump.

I just looked again, looks like oil is coming out of the exhaust ports at that corner. I cleaned it up for now, will check at next oil change to see if there's more. Why would there be enough oil to come out of of the exhaust?

Old 10-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Most likely the cam seal or something like that is leaking.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:32 PM

Thanks for the reply as usual, tech. I spent some more time under the car today trying to get to know it. I noticed there's oil seeping out underneath the valve cover both front and rear, but mostly rear. The front just seems gunky. I'm thinking oil may be making its way from the valve cover, through (or around) the exhaust runners and making me think it's coming out of the exhuast runners. What do you think?

There's oil under the speak plug cover. First thing I'll do is buy a new oil cap, but I don't know whether I should also change out the PCV as a precaution. Reading about all the problems associated with pressure build up due to plugged PCV has me worried. There's no smoke coming out of the dipstick, but there's smoke coming out of the cap after I turn the engine off. The dipstick is a lot looser than I expected, so maybe the o-ring is bad and pressure is relieved that way, masking a plugged PCV.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Administrator

I would do the vent box,oil cap seal,and dipstick o-ring then take it from there.

I highly doubt it is the cam cover(valve cover) leaking. I have only ever seen one leak and it was because someone had it apart and missed a spot with the sealer going back on.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:01 PM

regarding the window regulator. I think ours just broke earlier. My g/f tried to roll it down and it went down about an inch and all you hear is motor. She brought it home and i went to roll it up and it went up and locked into place. I told her not to touch it anymore. I am 90% sure the regulator wheel snapped.....but why will it go one way but not the other?

Old 10-22-2008, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Because usually when it breaks the cables have springs inline. When you try to move it the spring compresses. Then when you go the other way the spring will get loose again.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:31 AM

ORIGINAL: tech

Because usually when it breaks the cables have springs inline. When you try to move it the spring compresses. Then when you go the other way the spring will get loose again.
So the next time she "forgets" it's broken and rolls it down it could just get stuck down? Man i hope she doesn't forget before the weekend. I'm just going to unhook the power from the motor (if i can easily) this weekend until I have time to tackle it. Not going to bother asking you how to, I searched

Old 10-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Just unplug the window switch.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: tech

Just unplug the window switch.
Thought about that, i figured it was a single connection that would render the locks and passenger side window useless too.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Give it a shot and see what happens.