Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

New owner of Used C70....

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 01:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of Used C70....

Hello,

I am new to this board. I am a new owner of a used C70 MY98 Cpe HPT. It's an auto and I have about 93K on it. I had some questions for the forum, and yes I did searches but could not find any decent answers, and wanted to know some of the following:

1. I know that a boost gauge is good, but has anyone tried adding an oil pressure or oil temp gauge as well? Mechanical or electrical? If so, is there an oil gallery on the block for the gauge sender or must one be drilled out at the oil pan?

2. Has anyone tried adding an A/F gauge as well? Or is there no bungs or sites for the gauge to splice into to get an accurate reading?

3. Does anyone know if the C70 has been used in any races such as tarmac or rallies? I know the 850's were and so are the S40's, but not sure if any C70's have been used.

4. Are there any in-house mods, true performance not just for looks mods; that are for the C70's? Such as throttle body coolant bypasses or phenolyic intake manifold spacers, tricks that make more power or better mechanical operations of the car? Even, for example, certain preferred transmission/engine/clutch/brake fluids over others. Here, I know that I could do more searching, but since I am on a roll, I thought I would add the question in anyway.

5. Has anyone tried or compared common products for the C70 in general? Such as an Amsoil foam panel filter vs. K&N paper panel filters; or using copper plugs vs. platinum or iridium plugs?

Sorry for the long post, but I am a car freak and would love to "tinker" and "tweek" my car, but afraid that there just isn't as much info out there as with the Hondas, Nissans, Audis, VWs, Subarus, and GMs. I would love to learn as much, and I know each make has certain quirks that make them different from other makes, so generalized statements for turbo'd cars may or may not work for the C70s. I hope to be able to be a part of forum discussions, hints and help as much as possible . Oh and BTW here are pics of my ride right before purchase:

[IMG]local://upfiles/8214/8272F39D7D124BCD846654A990E1BF90.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8214/4E524519521C46A791F530ABF0C94659.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-09-2007, 02:48 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: New owner of Used C70....

ORIGINAL: TheSaint

Hello,

I am new to this board. I am a new owner of a used C70 MY98 Cpe HPT. It's an auto and I have about 93K on it. I had some questions for the forum, and yes I did searches but could not find any decent answers, and wanted to know some of the following:

1. I know that a boost gauge is good, but has anyone tried adding an oil pressure or oil temp gauge as well? Mechanical or electrical? If so, is there an oil gallery on the block for the gauge sender or must one be drilled out at the oil pan?

2. Has anyone tried adding an A/F gauge as well? Or is there no bungs or sites for the gauge to splice into to get an accurate reading?

3. Does anyone know if the C70 has been used in any races such as tarmac or rallies? I know the 850's were and so are the S40's, but not sure if any C70's have been used.

4. Are there any in-house mods, true performance not just for looks mods; that are for the C70's? Such as throttle body coolant bypasses or phenolyic intake manifold spacers, tricks that make more power or better mechanical operations of the car? Even, for example, certain preferred transmission/engine/clutch/brake fluids over others. Here, I know that I could do more searching, but since I am on a roll, I thought I would add the question in anyway.

5. Has anyone tried or compared common products for the C70 in general? Such as an Amsoil foam panel filter vs. K&N paper panel filters; or using copper plugs vs. platinum or iridium plugs?

Sorry for the long post, but I am a car freak and would love to "tinker" and "tweek" my car, but afraid that there just isn't as much info out there as with the Hondas, Nissans, Audis, VWs, Subarus, and GMs. I would love to learn as much, and I know each make has certain quirks that make them different from other makes, so generalized statements for turbo'd cars may or may not work for the C70s. I hope to be able to be a part of forum discussions, hints and help as much as possible . Oh and BTW here are pics of my ride right before purchase:

[IMG]local://upfiles/8214/8272F39D7D124BCD846654A990E1BF90.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8214/4E524519521C46A791F530ABF0C94659.jpg[/IMG]
Welcome

You needs to search my friend, also become a member of Volvospeed. Search there too. Most of your answers can be had by searching.

1. Start with a STAGE ZERO. Yes there is info on this site about it. The link might be dead but the info can be found over on Volvospeed.

2. A boost gauge is a great idea. Autometer makes great gauges. This is a must. I have an oil pressure gauge on my car and it was hooked up to where the stock sender unit is.

3. Yes many people have A/F gauges. If you get a Narrowband your wasting your time and money. Go wideband or don't go at all. Also make another bung in your downpipe for the wideband sensor.

4. I can't say for sure the c70 has or hasn't been in any races.

5. Common performance mods are... 3" mandrel bent downpipe, 2.5" to a 3" mandrel bent catback exhaust with Magnaflow or other straight through design muffler. You will see the most gains with the downpipe. EST intakes are worth less they suck in HOT AIR and are only good for looks. Your stock intake is the best setup. Just get a brand new panel filter and or K&N panel filter. An ECU upgrade is popular as well.

If you want to go crazy. Upgrade your turbo to something bigger. I.E.: 18T/19T or to something like a Garret turbo. Upgrade injectors. FMIC's really do work on our cars as well. Aquamist, port and polish (Gasket matching), blueprinting.