Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

New owner of used C70 convertible questions

Old 05-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New owner of used C70 convertible questions

Hi, purchased the car from Ebay unseen...did OK. I live where there are no expressways for 50 miles and all the local roads are 2 lane - double yellow with very few passing lanes..BUT I purchased the car for 500 miles trip to Chicago. 450 miles Will be 65 mph expressways.
Questions
Will HID lights give me more light than a good pair of Piaa bulbs ?
Will a cold air intake system really help my C70 ( did wonders for my GMC Typhoon)
What is the little red window on my radio do.
Someone pushed the rear cig. lighter into the console..how do I take the console apart
Antenna will not go all the down....best fix
I can break most anything and fix a few...thanks for any help Cb

Old 05-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cb1313
Hi, purchased the car from Ebay unseen...did OK. I live where there are no expressways for 50 miles and all the local roads are 2 lane - double yellow with very few passing lanes..BUT I purchased the car for 500 miles trip to Chicago. 450 miles Will be 65 mph expressways.
Questions
Will HID lights give me more light than a good pair of Piaa bulbs ?
Will a cold air intake system really help my C70 ( did wonders for my GMC Typhoon)
What is the little red window on my radio do.
Someone pushed the rear cig. lighter into the console..how do I take the console apart
Antenna will not go all the down....best fix
I can break most anything and fix a few...thanks for any help Cb
1. HID's will most definitely give you more light, plus you will have the peace of mind knowing this setup should not melt any stock light wires.
2. Will definitely make it sound different, only a dyno test will tell you otherwise.
3. Little red window I am under the impression you are talking about the IR eye that Volvo offered an optional remote for some of their radios.
4. Rear center console can be removed separately from the console. Lift rear seat, 2 torx screws. 3 torx on each side under the center console compartment. This is for the coupe, probably the same if you have a convertible. Can't recall if I was able to remove that particular trim piece without taking the console out.
5. If motor sounds good replace the mast. 5 section for convertible, 3 section for coupe. If it is bad you will need the complete unit. Either get it at your local dealer or order online FCPGroton is one possible source. Good luck on the new ride.

Old 05-14-2009, 01:45 PM

Thanks for your reply

Old 05-14-2009, 07:04 PM

mkc70 set me straight on the antenna differences for the convertible vs. coupe. I ordered a new mast as mkc indicated. When I removed the old mast I noted that years of gunk was keeping the antenna from fully collapsing. Try cleaning the sections of the antenna first...

Old 05-14-2009, 07:39 PM

Thanks, I first washed the antenna with liquid wrench, cleaned with MEK, then coated with light spray oil. Ran the antenna a few times and now works most of the time. I think that after the oil sinks in it should be fine.

thank you Cb