Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

No Power to Cigarette Lighter

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Power to Cigarette Lighter

Hi

I installed a laser jammer on my wife's C70. I used the accessory power supply connector located under the steering column after you remove a panel.

The puzzling thing is now both cigarette lighters (front and back) do not have power. Everything else electrical seems to be working just fine. Car starts, power seats work, heated seats work, stereo works, everything on the dash lights up, vanity lights work and there is power to the accessory connector so the laser jammer works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, pointing me to any schematics of what the electrical connections are under there would be appreciated. I have a feeling something might have gotten knocked loose. I am a Chevy guy myself so I don't know what I am up against

In a worst case scenario I can always reroute power to the cigarette lighter from the accessory jack.

Thanks

Sterling and Jeanette

Old 01-02-2011, 05:07 PM

Sorry, forgot to mention that it is a 1999 Convertible C70.

Sterling and Jeanette

Old 01-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VolvoInAlbany
Hi

I installed a laser jammer on my wife's C70. I used the accessory power supply connector located under the steering column after you remove a panel.

The puzzling thing is now both cigarette lighters (front and back) do not have power. Everything else electrical seems to be working just fine. Car starts, power seats work, heated seats work, stereo works, everything on the dash lights up, vanity lights work and there is power to the accessory connector so the laser jammer works.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, pointing me to any schematics of what the electrical connections are under there would be appreciated. I have a feeling something might have gotten knocked loose. I am a Chevy guy myself so I don't know what I am up against

In a worst case scenario I can always reroute power to the cigarette lighter from the accessory jack.

Thanks

Sterling and Jeanette
Pop the hood and check the cigarette fuse. 15 amp, number 30 back by the windshield. How many amps does the jammer pull?

Old 01-03-2011, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I thought it might be a fuse. I just didn't know which one to check. The jammer doesn't draw very much, maybe 100mA at most. And the jammer is running off of the accessory connector, which is why it made me think I knocked something loose during the installation. It would be pretty coincidental for the fuse to go on a different circuit at the same time, although stranger things have happened.

I will start by checking the fuse. After that I have a volt meter, and I guess the best way to proceed is to follow the voltage from the fuse box to the cigarette lighter, looking for a break along the way. Only problem is I wouldn't know where to look for the wire under the dash and console.

Thanks

Sterling and Jeanette

Old 01-04-2011, 10:12 PM

Thanks mkc70. it was the #30 fuse that was blown. That fixed the cigarette lighter.

But then her battery died the next day and after I jumped it the check engine light went off and it was stuck in 3rd gear. Dealer says its the transmission module and will cost $700. Thats the second module that has gone on this car in less than a year (last time it was the ABS module). They are selling salvaged modules on ebay for $85, but at this point my wife doesn't want me to touch it any more.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VolvoInAlbany
Thanks mkc70. it was the #30 fuse that was blown. That fixed the cigarette lighter.

But then her battery died the next day and after I jumped it the check engine light went off and it was stuck in 3rd gear. Dealer says its the transmission module and will cost $700. Thats the second module that has gone on this car in less than a year (last time it was the ABS module). They are selling salvaged modules on ebay for $85, but at this point my wife doesn't want me to touch it any more.
Of course I can see her point, but the car is not going to fix itself. No experience with Volvo auto transmissions, but most of the time one can find a less expensive(not cheaper) module compared to a dealer installed price. My advice is do the little stuff first that is needed for all vehicles before you decide on the big ticket fix. Either way GL.