Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Really confused....

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really confused....

Hello I'm hoping someone here might be able to help with my issue. The key to our 98c70 was lost at the local auto salvage and I was told by volvo that a new key would cost 300 dollars. Now I have read on here that this year model didnt have the immobilizer...however the relay box is setup for immobilizer, and the dealership checked the VIN and claims it has the immobilizer....other research showed that there were some models from the 2nd half of 98that had it.?.. here's my problem... It doesn't act like an immobilizer issue... I changed the lock cylinder and immobilizer ring ...and now the key turns to the start position but won't turn over. I thought maybe I fried the starter cylinoid when I tried a jump wire at the relay...but jumping across the cylinoid didn't work either. To my understanding...the immobilizer would not prevent the engine turning over...it would shut down the injectors.... Anyone have any ideas?

Old 01-22-2021, 04:07 PM
Received 586 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominique Peddicord
98c70 was lost at the local auto salvage and I was told by volvo that a new key would cost 300 dollars.

I fried the starter cylinoid when I tried a jump wire at the relay...but jumping across the cylinoid didn't work either.

the immobilizer would not prevent the engine turning over...Anyone have any ideas?
What's the date of manufacture? If your car is a 1998 it does not have an immobilizer. Does your car have a throttle cable or a drive by wire throttle? 99 is drive by wire/canbus/immobilizer, 98 has a throttle cable. A $300 key is a 1999+ chip key, it requires a download to make it work, hence the expense - Key +hour time+ $25 download. A 1998 key does not have a chip. The dealer employee you talked to might not be familiar with 33 year old Volvos - they would rarely see them. If it's a 99 and you changed the lock cylinder (and are using a different key than before) - the key you are using will not ever start the car - the car does not recognize the chip in that key - in that case mr. immobilizer prevents the car from starting. You would need to have a download to be able to get that key to talk to the car.

You should be able to activate the starter with a jumper wire on the relay at any time - power goes to the relay and starter all the time. Jump terminal 30 (B+) to terminal 87 and the starter should work - if not you may have a problem with your starter. On the diagram - the 4 red wires that go from the battery to the fusebox - that bundle of wires can get a bad connection and melt at the connector in the fusebox - check under the bolt in the fusebox for a melted/bad connection. Also have replace many positive battery cables - they get a bad connection where the wire is crimped into the battery terminal and won't pass high current. If you get it running check the temp of the positive battery terminal; - they get very hot when bad.

Last edited by hoonk; 01-22-2021 at 04:14 PM.