Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

SC 901 stereo quesitons

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 11:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SC 901 stereo quesitons

Day two of 2002 Coupe. Have the SC 901 with center speaker. Frankly I was quite disappointed in this system on my long drive home but I read the manual and "tuned" it up and all I can say is WOW after my ears stopped bleeding! Couple of nits:

My S40 will play CDs burnt with my music (literally recordings of our band) but the C70 won't. It finds the CD and track but won't play the music. You can jump to track 2 or 6 but it stays at 00. These are burnt as CDs rather than MP3 on CD-R. Has anyone cracked this nut?

Adding bluetooth streaming; found Yatour and Grom searching around on the forums but they are old posts and many don't cover bluetooth. Curious what people are doing, if they like what they got or wish they had made another choice and if anyone has found a solution that allows the Iphone 5 to engage the stereo without having to be in 6 CD Mode.

Finally, a little off topic but my 70 has a silver trim as opposed to woodgrain and I am wondering if they are rare or if I can find an extra console trim anywhere, same as S/V70? I want to graft in a 2003 s40 console with real cupholders (I did this on my 2001 S40 and its life changing), but I need to modify the trim and I want to be able to return the car to original if in 30 years they go up in value again.

Best,

Mark

Old 09-16-2015, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

if you can't track burnt CDs, you probably have some dirt on the lens in the CD player. You can try a cleaner cd or use a long Q-tip with some alcohol to see if you can swab off some dust. For the after market MP3 player adaptors, there are some that plug into the CD changer cabling. Check if the 901 supports the external CD changer (ie the trunk mounted 6 CD box) and if so you may find a product (Grom?) that plugs right into that.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile SC 901 player in c70.

Hello!
I have a C70 2,4 cabrio 2000model. I encountered same problem as discussed by you. I have stuggled hard convincing my Volvo that my self burned CDs are "good to go". I have tried several free software capable for the job. I ended up with Windows media player as the best. But I am not satisfied. OKI, I have burned a test cd(CD-R) with 17 tunes. I have learned the output format must better be in CDFS format!

OKI,..but not.

The strange is; the player will wait for some good 2 minutes before reacting, then I can have all the 17 tunes whitout problems. But... change track? No possibility. Hm!

The volvo player seem to be very sensible indeed!
Hope we can help each other out about this problem.
I have this 3 cd cartridge by the way.

I love this car, quite a nice car!
I have just bought it, joined this club/forum for help.

Also very interesting about tuning of the speakers as explained by you, can you tell more about this? I understand that I can change frequenses for bass/miidle tone/discant. Is this what you mean about tuning?

Best regards from norway! .
Roar.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:00 PM
Smile More about me.

I am a Norwegian, 59 year old. My car is a Volvo C70 2,4 T.
The car has changed software for engine.

Me myself is better with engines.

Best regards from Roar Møller-Hansen.
Norway.

Old 09-18-2015, 03:30 PM
Smile Burn CDs on Volvo.

Hey!

On Volvo CS 901 this seems to be a well known problem.
Many People have issues when burning CDs and trying to play them on Cs 901. Gosh!

I myself bought a cd cleaner, thouht it was a problem with the laser eye,...no.

Problem. The Volvo player will not recognize "all there is".
I am a novice myself regarding this problem. In the start my 3CD cartridge went in&out making a hell of noices,...but no play.
This problem was in fact caused by dirty laser lince/sensor. I cleaned(and solved the problem) with the use of a CD cleaner.

But I am not satisfied With my player. I can play(burned cd,s With Windows media player), but the CS 901 react if I try to change track/etc. Also when I start my engine, it quits.

If I ignore it,....it will play all my tunes to my uttermost satisfaction!
Hope you guys will comment this and perhaps solve the problem.

Best regards from Norway&Roar.

Old 09-18-2015, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

Good point about looking at how you burn the CDs. I regularly burn CDs which play in my 850T and '00 S40. I use Media Player but I set the CD burn speed to "SLOW" (the slowest option). That should help. Just burned a new CD featuring Kygo for my son :-)

Old 09-19-2015, 08:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Upstate NY here; I am on my second tank of gas so far and I have to say that the C70 (coupe in my case) is an amazing piece of engineering. Absolutely delightful to drive, quiet, quick, comfortable, great looking and the stereo excepting the issue we are discussing is absolutely amazing. I can understand why everyone in my research before buying mine states "I love my C70"...

When I talk about tuning it, I really simply meant reading the manual and learning how they programed all the buttons. Its the most complicated and confusing system to do advanced tuning I've ever seen, like building a ship in a bottle. Once I got it dialed in a little, made a huge difference, the previous owner had it all screwed up. Learning how to set the center speaker volume was one of the biggest gains, one click in either direction makes a difference, I also discovered a volume control for the rear speakers separate from the fader which again made a big difference.

The biggest pain is accessing the internal equalizer; turn the stereo off, hold a button while standing on your head holding your nose with your other hand, then turn the stereo on and... Took me many tries with the manual in my lap before finally getting it but programming the bass equalizer at the 60 hz range to full punched things up quite a bit and made the bass **** more usable instead of always being on high. Also finding the Dolby Prologic mode was very pleasing to my ears. Next I have to figure out how to set the EQ for the rear speakers, I remember reading about it but don't remember how to do it, mine is almost all bass right now back there.

I also have the 3 cd changer which is an interesting approach to engineering. I had to teach my kids not to grab it when its changing cds even though it looks like your supposed to...

SO that's the scoop, I'll try Media player, its interesting that with Roxio, the player finds the tracks and I can skip to any of all 17 tracks but the player stays on 00 and does not play. I am methodically working through all the options on Roxio, so far nothing works yet... BTW, I also have an 2001 S40 and 1998 V70 and my burnt CDs work fine in both of them, its something peculiar about the SC 901.

As I said, I am in upstate NY near the finger lakes, think big waterfalls, glacier cut gorges, country driving and beautiful lakes, perfect countryside for a C70...

Best regards

M

Last edited by dobrosailor; 09-19-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 09-20-2015, 11:10 AM
Smile SC 901 issue.

Thx mt6127 and Dobrosailor, Your comments realy help me!

The "slow burn" mode in Windows Media player is a very god tip. I tried it for the first time today, all tunes played correctly. The Volvo player still want a "very long" time before it start to play though! But,...it start, and then all is good time!

Dobrosailor; thx for good explanation of the tuning proceedior!
And, yes...it is a bit advanced/difficult this "Volvo player tuning"..
I will now study Your explanation carefully, thx.

I had a lovely trip with my car today, visited the outskirt of my region and had a good look at the mighty open sea. The next horisont, hidden for my eyes, will be England.

Of topic; I have grinded(yes!) my Alcatara seats with normal grinding paper.
Started very kindly with 120 grit, finished With 440 grit. I can post pictures if people are interested.
Result? Very good indeed!

Best regards from Roar.

Old 03-10-2021, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by dobrosailor
The biggest pain is accessing the internal equalizer; turn the stereo off, hold a button while standing on your head holding your nose with your other hand, then turn the stereo on and... Took me many tries with the manual in my lap before finally getting it but programming the bass equalizer at the 60 hz range to full punched things up quite a bit and made the bass **** more usable instead of always being on high.
I'm having difficulties accessing the EQ-settings. Care to elaborate on how it's done? I've tried pressing the preset 2 button and powering up the radio simultaneously, but no luck. Is there a secret ritual or spell I need to cast?