Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

spark plug change

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plug change

I have a 2011 c70 t5 convertible and want to change the spark plugs,,,,,is there a "how to" somewhere? Thanks,,,Bill

Old 02-10-2014, 04:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a youtube video somebody did on a 2004 XC90 2.5L that is pretty much the same process as yours.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

That is similar, but not the same engine. Same idea though.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some people can really be a nit picker! They are usally insecure!

Old 02-14-2014, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MSGTUSMC
No. Not at all.

Someone asked for help for something that is pretty basic. So this leads me to believe they are going to need specific, step-by-step instructions. Nothing wrong with that. So if that is what they need, and a video is posted for a different car- it might be good for them to know that the idea is similar but the instructions are not exact to their car.

But thanks for your insight.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by MSGTUSMC
Yeah, I had to bite my tongue. When I posted the video I said "that is pretty much the same process as yours", and the reply "That is similar, but not the same engine. Same idea though." really didn't say anything that wasn't already said. No worries though. Virtually every one of these forums has a member or two that doesn't feel important unless they step on someone elses post. I may be relatively new here, but the other forums I participate in frequently have the same issues.

BTW, thanks for your service!

P.S.

EST6, I really hope we can get along here. I am far from knowing everything, but having grown up on a farm and wrenching on all types of equipment, trucks, cars, etc., for the last 30+ years I feel confident I can contribute. In this case I have done this job on my S60 without the aid of any forum instruction because it is one of the more basic DIY jobs, but I spot reviewed the video and found it accurate. Combine that with pics of the C70 engine compartment and I felt it was close enough to help the OP along, thus the statement that it would be "pretty much the same process".

Old 02-15-2014, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

I see your point and have already explained myself.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by ES6T
I see your point and have already explained myself.
Sure, but you would rather try to discredit me than admit that I covered the bases by explaining that while it was a different year and model, the process was "pretty much the same" and would help the OP. Rather than come along with any additional information you felt the need to point out exactly what was already said, but couch it as a rebuttal so as to imply that my response was not thorough enough and your were being helpful. Then when called on it you defended yourself rather than admit your real intention. I get it, I really do.

Last edited by pkrface; 02-15-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Clearly, we are not likely to get along since you make assumptions about small statements and then get all bent out of shape.

I only said it was similar, but the engine was not the same. I said this because, while the C70 is a "T5", the P3 T5 is a little different than a P2 T5 or 2.5T. So basically, I was posting to agree that the video will help, but to let the poster know the engine was a bit different. You took it as some sort of attack on your post for some reason.

Kind of like when I said the Chinese are not building Volvo's outside of their market, and you took that small statement and made a huge deal about it and how they own the factories and can do whatever they want.

My statement here was in agreement. Move on.

Last edited by ES6T; 02-15-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you change your plugs and are not sure about the wires replace them too. As when pulling old crusty spark wires they tend to fall apart. Replace your Dist cap and rotor. Or leave it alone if it is running good. The longevity of spark plugs was made up by the manufacturers! Plugs will last a long long time. Run super gas!

Old 02-15-2014, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by RGuy
If you change your plugs and are not sure about the wires replace them too. As when pulling old crusty spark wires they tend to fall apart. Replace your Dist cap and rotor. Or leave it alone if it is running good. The longevity of spark plugs was made up by the manufacturers! Plugs will last a long long time. Run super gas!
There are no plug wires, dist. cap, or rotor on the OP's C70. It has individual coils that have no specific replacement interval and do not get replaced unless they fail. Spark plugs in that car are a stand alone item.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by ES6T
No. Not at all.

Someone asked for help for something that is pretty basic. So this leads me to believe they are going to need specific, step-by-step instructions. Nothing wrong with that. So if that is what they need, and a video is posted for a different car- it might be good for them to know that the idea is similar but the instructions are not exact to their car.

But thanks for your insight.

Real nice response this time!