Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Speakers

If people do want stuff, I have no problem going to get it, and sending it out in the post. If I have to go out of my way to get stuff then I'd ask for a little bit of money to make it worth while. Otherwise I could do it when its convienent for me, which is about every 6-8 weeks.

S.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:29 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, if you do obtain the upgraded system you will certainly enjoy it! It is a Dolby ProLogic Surround Sound system...............it is the best audio system I have heard from a factory and is one of the reasons I purchased my c70. I have had Audi and Mazda Bose systems which are literaly a joke. The Harman Kardon set up in one of my BMWs was pretty good but the old c70 is a keeper and partly because of the radio. Yes..............I have also had aftermarket systems with Alpine and Infinity systems. I have had the trunk mounted subs but then again, I graduated high school about 40 years ago and see no sense in that indeavor. I suppose you could wire in a trunk mounted Infinity sub that is self powered but I truly do not think you would obtain much in the quality of the radio. With all that stated, go find some used Volvo 'stuff' and try it out............I think you will be amazed. Lastly, Volvo and Dynaudio spent a fortune tuning the up-graded speakers to the interior of the c70 and the head unit allows you a lot of latitude in how much you hear out of the centre speaker.

r.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:48 PM

well, i was looking into getting this as an upgrade for my sc-816.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:IT&ih=004

mainly cause the factory volvo HU doesn't play MP3s or burnt CD-Rs. this sony unit plays that and DVDs, throw in a Ps2 and you have a good time for your passengers or car shows.

i wonder how hard it isto intergrate this sony HU and a external amp to the factory system though.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:12 PM

Personally I was just thinking of swapping in the just the 901 with out the center channel I dont have.Dont know if it would work thou

Old 12-16-2007, 10:39 AM
reg

Well the problem you MAY encounter is that to obtain the surround sound effect you need an amp that drives the centre channel and that is what the 'stock' Volvo up-graded unit does. Also you may not want to 'ruin' the nice interior with something that does not fit properly nor look quite as nice as a stock unit. Thoughts for you to ponder as you decide on your options.

r.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:43 AM
reg

.............I forgot to add that Volvo does have an adaptor to play MP-3's through the up-graded radio. Additionally the up-graded radio has the built-in 'switch' to play a 6 disc cd that mounts in the trunk. Supposedly the c70 is pre-wired for your trunk player.

r.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:19 AM

the sony supports 5.1 dolby surround sound though and if you get a harness kit toconnect to the factory systemall the speakersshould be covered by that harness. the sony is also pre-amped and i think is about the same power output as the external factory amp for the 901. if not i'll just get a small aftermarket sony amp to run all the factory speakers.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: reg

Well the problem you MAY encounter is that to obtain the surround sound effect you need an amp that drives the centre channel and that is what the 'stock' Volvo up-graded unit does. Also you may not want to 'ruin' the nice interior with something that does not fit properly nor look quite as nice as a stock unit. Thoughts for you to ponder as you decide on your options.

r.
I dont want to use the center channel. Im not looking into placing a center speaker on the dash I want to leave the speakers as they are. 2 dash 4 doors 4 rear deck.
In other words get the 901 and hook it up to the factory that should be in my trunk and power the 10 speakers I have already.Would the sound be good without the center driver?

Old 12-17-2007, 12:09 PM
reg

In a word..........Nope! The centre channel is what gives the sound "presence". It is unbelievably realistic. The up-graded head unit gives you the option via a button to choose one of the three following sound options: two channel stereo (such as what you are experiencing currently), three channel sound (using the centre channel also), and Dolby Pro Logic Surround Sound which is incredible and puts the Bose systems to shame as they are still a two channel system but with power and custom speaker enclosures. I reccommend that you find via Ebay (good luck) or a salvage company, or by trading in your old unit with Volvo, the up-graded head unit.

r.

Old 12-17-2007, 12:51 PM

Ok, thats cool. Aslong as the 901 will work with my current setup. the 2 channel thats fine with me. I want the EQ settings and 3 disk changer the 901 has the most.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:26 PM
reg

You also have the option of a six disc changer which is mounted in the trunk.

r.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:56 PM

i called my local volvo dealer today and they said that they would only trade a 816 for a 816 for a core. i wanted to know if i can get a 901 since there is a chance my 816 may not be puting out a signal to the center and rear passenger driver. oh and that trade will cost me $316!

and if the speakers are just bad...about $316 anyway LOL

Old 12-18-2007, 09:25 AM
reg

You have to pay for quality. Dynaudio and the head units are 1st class audio equipment. It is not Ford or G.M. quality. Most mfg's simply use the most cost effective audio and then advertise their 'premium' radio as Bose...................but it still is el-cheapo! I went to the Mercedes dealer this week looking at new autos and I see that they now have a surround sound 'radio'. It sounds great!

r.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:01 PM

you wanna hear something funny?

i called volvo about the cost of the 2 speaker i though were blown and it would have cost me about $300 for those 2 speakers, but then the parts guy says " oh it could be the radio with will require some hours for testing and stuff to see if it's not putting out a signal ".

well he was right, the speakers do work, the radio isn't putting out a signal and it didn't take me hours of testing to do it. i just ran some speaker wires to the ones i thought were blown and connected it to a speaker plug that was working and i just saved myself alot of money.

now for that sony D-DIN hu