Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

A sunroof question and an answer...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A sunroof question and an answer...

Hello! My 2000 Volvo C70 sunroof has been driving me crazy. I have created a post here about adjusting the sunroof to reduce rattle. That is all fine and good but since then the rear metal stiffening bar has fallen off (not a big deal, I'll glue it back on), an e-clip has popped off and what looks to be a white plastic bushing has fallen out. The white plastic bushing fell out once before and was laying in the track causing the sunroof to jam. I removed it from the track and put it back in place. Well, it has fallen out again.

I can't seem to find it and I'm wondering how necessary it is. It is the white plastic bushing identified by the number "1" in the picture. I'm hoping it fell into the track again but I didn't immediately see it when I did a quick search.

Oh, the e-clip identified by the number "2" is a 5/32" e-clip if anyone ever has to replace these. I'm sure it is a metric e-clip, but a 5/32" e-clip matches up well to the original and is clipping into a groove so I don't see any issues using a 5/32" e-clip.

So, is the white bushin necessary? and does it really look like a white washer or is mine broken and that is why it is falling out?

Attached Thumbnails A sunroof question and an answer...-volvo-sunroof.jpg  
Old 03-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No offense is intended, but have you looked at the other side of the sunroof. I would think both sides would be mirrors of each other.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by mkc70
No offense is intended, but have you looked at the other side of the sunroof. I would think both sides would be mirrors of each other.
None taken! I did look at the other side. It also appears to just be a plastic washer with no real function or purpose. I'm just having a hard time believing that they would design and manufacture a part that serves no function...

Old 03-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by elav
None taken! I did look at the other side. It also appears to just be a plastic washer with no real function or purpose. I'm just having a hard time believing that they would design and manufacture a part that serves no function...
When I was working on my sunshade last week I glanced at the internals. Plastic piece may be a guide for when the glass is moving. Other than that it may serve no other purpose.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:00 PM
Default Sunroof rattle - When nothing else works

Okay - I have an 02 s60. Sunroof was rattling like crazy when shut only. It would not rattle when tilted up. WHen you pushed on the glass when closed, you could feel play in the mechanism. When you pushed on the glass when tilted, no play. All four bolts holding the glass on were TIGHT. No brackets were "unglued" or anything like that. I became convinced that the play in the system was simply related to worn rails or worn mechanism. I determined my only chance at avoiding major $$$$ to replace the rails was to loosen the 4 screws holding the glass to the mechanism that are behind the accordian things, move the rear of the glass to the lowest adjustment (toward the bottom of the car) and then drive with the tilt slightly actuated. The adjustment was to make the top of the glass match the roof when the tilt was slightly actuated.

Well, this did not work. when i finished, the ?(*&$#@! thing rattled in the slightly uptilted position. HOWEVER - it did NOT rattle in the fully down position!!!!! So now my rattle was fixed but the top of the glass was goofy relative to the top of the car. So I slowly started adjusting the glass upwards in the back, bringing it more even with the roof, hoping my rattle would not come back. i got it up to Volvo geek acceptable position with the roof, and PRAISE THE LORD - still no rattle!!!!!!!! BLESSED SILENCE on craterfilled minnesota roads on my thin as paris hilton 50 series tires.

So when all the usual forum fixes DO NOT FIX YOUR RATTLE, start playing with the attitude of your glass until your test drive is rattle-less.

A new glass gasket ($1XX from Volvo) or a new glass ($6XX from volvo) would probably reduce the amount of FINESSE you need to accomplish this fix. If anyone knows where to get these cheap, i would like to know.