Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Suspension Time

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Time

2000 Volvo C70 HT w/ 5spd Manual. One of my struts is shot and I also just discovered that the spring pad I just installed was recalled so seeing as I have to replace the spring pad and get another alignment I might as well address the bad strut and try and improve the car's handling characteristics without ruining the ride quality.

I am not a suspension expert so I figured I would post what I am thinking of purchasing to see what people think. I guess I should start off by saying that I think the stock setup is a little too soft and has too much body roll in the turns, so I'm trying to stiffen up the ride a bit and minimize body roll.

Struts/shocks: Bilstein Touring (I have read good things about the Koni FSDs, but they would cost an extra $300 and I'd rather put that money towards anti-sway bars)

Springs: Eibach Pro Kit. I talked to the guys at Eibach and learned that they designed these springs to work with the stock struts/shocks but suggested that the Bilstein Touring would work well with these springs too.

Anti-sway Bars: a set of IPDs (does anyone else make anti-sway bars for this car???)

I live in California and a lot of the highways are concrete with expansion joints so I don't want the suspension to be too stiff. My last car was a stock Acura Integra. I really liked the way it handled but not a fair comparison as that car was a lot lighter.

Thoughts? Oh, has anyone done this and found alignment numbers that work better than the stock numbers for a setup like this?

Old 07-03-2009, 06:20 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

The Bilstein's are basically OEM. Probably a little bit above OEM standards. So they will be good.

I never used Eibach springs, but used APEX Suspension Systems springs. I think for the most part those springs will work nicely with the Bilstein's. Might be a little harsh, but not totally sure on that.

IPD USA I do believe is the only one that makes the sway bars for your year and model. I know EVOLVE makes sway bars too but I don't think it is for your year and model. But check their website out. I have had sway bars from IPD USA for two Volvo's and they are wonderful. Also I think they are more then likely what saved my life one time on the road.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:50 AM

It appears the evolve only makes a rear anti-sway bar for the c70. Thanks I'll take a look at the apex stuff.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:30 PM

One minor update. My friend just had Bilstein touring shocks put in his x-country and I have to say that it doesn't feel much different than stock, so I'm going to go with the Bilstein HD shocks. Hopefully it won't be too much...

Old 07-07-2009, 12:37 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by elav
One minor update. My friend just had Bilstein touring shocks put in his x-country and I have to say that it doesn't feel much different than stock, so I'm going to go with the Bilstein HD shocks. Hopefully it won't be too much...
That's because they basically are stock. They are equal to or slightly better then OEM.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:23 AM

Into the shop tomorrow for the suspension upgrades and a new radiator. Once that is done I'll be down to getting the windows working.

UPDATE: Off to the alignment shop today

Last edited by elav; 07-21-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:49 AM

I spoke too soon. It turns out that even though my ETS was updated a couple of months ago it just failed. It looks like it will be covered under the 10 year, 200K mile recall but just another thing to add to the list. In addition even though my entire suspension is now new it looks like the control arm on one side is starting to clunk. So I need the control arms replaced then off to the Volvo dealership for a new ETS and then off to the alignment shop. Man, it is starting to get difficult remaining a fane of the C70...

Old 07-31-2009, 04:48 PM

I picked up my car today and I have to say that I'm really happy with how the car handles now. I think the combination of the Bilstein HD shocks, Eibach Springs and IPD Anti-Sway Bars really makes the car handle they way it should.