Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Thinking Of Getting A 2002 C70 Coupe, Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking Of Getting A 2002 C70 Coupe, Help Please

HI all, I'm a long-time car enthusiast and have modified 4cycl turbos, 4 cycl suprchgr, and v8s. We've had 3 audi A4s in the family (B5, B6, B7 latest is 2.0t quattro). I'm ready to change and there's a good deal at my Audi dealership for a 2002 pearl white C70 coupe (automatic) with a little over 88k miles. Not sure of exact package but seems to be fully loaded. I have a few questions I hope you can answer:

1) What are things to know and watch for on 2002 model with 88k+ miles?

2) How reliable are C70s; I live in Houston so its sea-level, stop-n-go traffic, no real winter?

3) What are potential minor mods (firmer suspension parts: thicker sway bars, firmer shocks/springs) and turbo boost via software or boost controller?

4) Audi/VW can be self-diagnosed using VAG-Com software that practically give you same information as a dealer computer, is there anything like that or am I at the dealer's mercy whenever something goes wrong?

TIA and I hope to join this great community soon

Previous (German) cars: 1999 Audi A4 1.8t, 2002 Mercedes C230k coupe, 2006 Audi A4 2.0t quattro

Old 11-01-2007, 03:58 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Thinking Of Getting A 2002 C70 Coupe, Help Please

Welcome to the forum. Hope the information we provide and you find helps you out.

I am mainly into the modifications of Volvo's and know some stuff.

It looks like the 2002 Volvo c70 you speak of has, 236Hp and 244Ft-Lb of torque. That sounds like an
HPT (High Pressure Turbo).

---------------------------------------------

Have you done any research at all on your own? I mean we have tons of info on this forum especially these two threads that you need to become best friends with.

* https://volvoforums.com/m_65537/tm.htm

* https://volvoforums.com/m_38606/tm.htm

Especially the second link I provided above.

Engine
-
A MBC (Manual Boost Controller) is no good. See after 1998 Volvo uses ME7 and ME7 doesn't like MBC's. Thusly the only way to up your boost is to get an ECU upgrade. Now I have ME7 in my 1999 Volvo s70 awd and I am using a SpeedTuning USA ecu upgrade. Which they just flashed my ECU to upgrade it. However I don't know if the newer Volvo's can accept a regular old ECU upgrade like I have, that is where a PPC or SoftLoader comes into play. BSR PPC, IPD's Softloader and RICA's PPC, these are three options for you for ECU upgrades. All very good.

- 3" mandrel bent downpipe. In the exhaust portion you will see the most performance from a new downpipe.

- 2.5" mandrel bent catback system with a free flowing muffler such as a BORLA or Magnaflow. Since you wont be upgrading your turbo to something bigger you only need a 2.5" mandrel bent system, if you did upgrade your turbo to something bigger then you should upgrade your catback to 3" mandrel bent.

Suspension
-
IMO and for the most part in the Volvo aftermarket community sway bars are the best suspension upgrade. Currently IPD USA and EVOLVE are the only companies in the aftermarket Volvo world that sells better sway bars. I would check with EVOLVE to be sure theirs will fit your car, if not IPD USA is your only other choice.

- Another good idea would be HD sway bar endlinks. IPD USA's and or QuickBrickMotorSports (QBM) Extreme endlinks would be much better then the OEM.

- Yes new shocks/struts will be a great upgrade. KONI's, Bilstein HD's are a great upgrade. And KONI FSD's would be an over upgrade over the other two.

- Lowering springs are great too you have some options. IPD USA, Eibach, H&R, Sachs Performance Suspension Kit, KW Coilovers. Obviously KW Coilovers would be the best options, but that isn't for everyone.

- And a decent strut brace like what EST offers is a nice addon. IPD USA's "economy" strut brace is crap do not buy it.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:45 PM

Thanks for the reply S70driver. I looked at the Newbie FAQs, and read reviews and opinions on Edmunds and a few other website.

I test drove the car today and it was fine. I plan to pick her up tomorrow :-)

Definitely not as agile as my A4 2.0t quattro, but seems to be solid and will be good highway cruiser.

Can you tell me some of the weak parts and maint stuff to watch out for since the car has 88k+ miles on it? It is HPT and any idea what the turbo is (I heard its Garrett T28)?

I typically like to do the following upgrades on my last 2 Audi's and MB c230k coupe: power upgrade (ECU for turbo or pulley for supercharger), firmer shocks/springs (Typically H&R), and yes thicker sway bars (does the C70 even have F/R sway bars on it? size?).

So from what I can understand with ECU flashing, one person can just buy a module (about $1000) and it can flash unlimited number of cars right? So if I find a local person, I could in theory just give them like $100 or something and get it done? Thanks again

Old 11-01-2007, 11:16 PM

ORIGINAL: teaberry

Thanks for the reply S70driver. I looked at the Newbie FAQs, and read reviews and opinions on Edmunds and a few other website.

I test drove the car today and it was fine. I plan to pick her up tomorrow :-)

Definitely not as agile as my A4 2.0t quattro, but seems to be solid and will be good highway cruiser.

Can you tell me some of the weak parts and maint stuff to watch out for since the car has 88k+ miles on it? It is HPT and any idea what the turbo is (I heard its Garrett T28)?

I typically like to do the following upgrades on my last 2 Audi's and MB c230k coupe: power upgrade (ECU for turbo or pulley for supercharger), firmer shocks/springs (Typically H&R), and yes thicker sway bars (does the C70 even have F/R sway bars on it? size?).

So from what I can understand with ECU flashing, one person can just buy a module (about $1000) and it can flash unlimited number of cars right? So if I find a local person, I could in theory just give them like $100 or something and get it done? Thanks again
1. Your Volvo comes with a Mitsubishi turbo. If it is an HPT it will come with a 16T angled flange turbo if it is the LPT it will come with a 13g straight flange.

2. IPD USA, RICA and BSR PPC these are all companies that make a programmer that they send you and you install it into your OBDII port and install the upgrade this way. It will also let you revert back to stock settings anytime you want to and back to the upgrade when you want to. Also I do believe the ECU's are married to the cars now for Volvo's thusly this would mean if you got a tuner from one of these three companies it would be car specific and only work with your car and your car only.

3. Yes the c70 comes with front and rear sway bars. And IPD USA and EVOLVE are the only companies that make upgraded ones for Volvo's.

4. Regular ECU tuning is not like $100 and it is done with. It cost more then $100. The cheapest ECU upgrade on the market for Volvo's is the SpeedTuning USA ecu upgrade at $325, Upsolute at $425 and it goes up from there. You also send your ECU off to be tuned unless you live near by a place like IPD USA, RICA, SpeedTuning USA, Etc...

FYI nothing in the Volvo aftermarket world is cheap. Expect to pay loads and loads of money to mod your Volvo.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:36 PM

Ha, thanks; prices on modding Mercedes and Audi aren't that cheap either but luckily there is a pretty big user base for Audi so I was able to get most parts used.

Since its an automatic, I probably would be looking at ECU flash, intake/dp/exhaust, and some susp firming up; any recommendation on shock/springs combo?

Old 11-02-2007, 02:29 PM

I just picked her up today; on the 2002 C70, how can you tell if it has sports suspension or regular suspension? Do you even have that option in 2002? The car has BBS 17" Volvo wheels.

Going over uneven and bumpy pavement, it does feel a little "hunting" for the road and not very firm (a bit rattle-y?). Is it because of age (5 years, 88k miles) or is the factory suspension the culprit (tires are Contisports 225/45/17)? I am consider getting firmer shocks/springs and thicker sway bars as well as the strut brace in the engine bay. Any thoughts?

TIA

Old 11-02-2007, 02:47 PM

Do it, you wont regret it.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:53 PM

I'm already thinking of ordering the engine bay strut brace and possibly some springs/shocks as well (havent research much on that). I'm okay with power for now ;-) but that ride needs to be more agile...

Any thoughts on the 302mm brake upgrade kit? I dont wanna blow $2k+ on BBK but I realize this car is heavier than my A4

Old 11-02-2007, 11:37 PM

If you don't want to do a BBK then the 302mm brake upgrade would be a great idea.