Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Transmission ate itself?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission ate itself?

Is this possible?! I have a 1999 Volvo C70 2.4 Auto with 130k miles. It was a very cold morning (-18F) so I started the car to let it warm up. It started pretty hard but I didn't find that to unusual based on the temp. After I started it I went back inside. After 5 minutes or so I came back outside and it wasn't running anymore. I tried to start it back up but it wouldn't fire (it would turn over tho). Because of a family emergency I didn't have time to look at it again until weeks later. At this time is was warm again (+30F) and it would start but it would kill after about a minute (at this point I have still not tried putting it into gear yet). I didn't have time to look at it myself so I called the shop and had it towed there and when they tried to drive it in the shop it wouldn't move. There is different sound when you put it in drive (sounds like something spinning but nothing engaging). After playing around with the 'winter mode' button we were able to get it in drive and reverse but only with winter mode activated and not every time. The shop suggested that maybe the car shifted itself into 2 gears on its own or something while it was running that cold morning and that is why it killed and ruined the tranny. Is that even possible?! Any insight as to what is/went wrong with it is greatly appreciated. The transmission prior to this always seemed solid. The car did have symptoms of a failing ETM/MAF and the ABS module also seemed to be glitchy.