Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

New Car, Rolls Down Street by itself

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Car, Rolls Down Street by itself

My S40 T5 manual, is 3 weeks old. Friday I parked it outside the house (almost flat street) pulled the e brake. Was outside for a few minutes. Came back out 10 minutes later, car gone. It rolled down the street, hit a sign and stopped in the neighbors yard. The e brake was still up when I got in it to bring it back. We determined that if the e brake is pulled to the 3rd click. you can easily push the car with 1 hand. If it is on the 4th it is a little more difficult and on 5 it wont move, but if the car is rolling and you pull it to 5 clicks it still keeps rolling. We also determined that if the car is hot (been driven for a while) it rolls right away on 4, and you can put your foot outside the car and push it on the 5th click. So it gets much worse after it is hot. I think what happened was after I drove the car 1 hour home, I probably had the e brake on 4th or 5th click and after the car began to cool, the metal cooled and the e brake began to release. So, there goes the car. I know I should put it in gear on a hill or if it is going to sit somewhere for a while, but the road was almost flat and I was going to pull it in the drive way within 10 min.
I would like some advice for when I contact the dealer. They know what happened and are expecting me to bring it in tomorrow. If any of you have a manual S40, how strong is the e brake? can you push the car if it is on 3rd or 4th click. I would greatly appreciate it if you could go out and test yours.
Please let me know as soon as you can.
Thanks,
Melissa

Old 06-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Car, Rolls Down Street by itself

Putting the car in gear ANYTIME Your away from the car whether on a hill or not is required plus setting the emergency/parking brake securely. Other than the damage to Your car from running over the sign there's nothing wrong with Your car. The E-brake is not a mechanical lock like the PARK position of an automatic transmission, it's the rear brake shoes engaging a small drum inside the rear brake rotors. If the E-brake engages too soon You risk setting Your rear brakes on fire or at least wearing the shoes out at a VERY fast rate.