Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Volvo iPod FM Modulator

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 03:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo iPod FM Modulator

Any of you guys that have the Volvo FM iPod set up, how do you like it. Any 2006-2007 C70 owners out there with the iPod set up? I want to get one but not if it dosen't work well.

I searched but found nothing on the new C70! Thanks.

Old 12-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Volvo iPod FM Modulator

I will tell you this. In general FM Modulators SUCK big *****. It doesn't matter if it is exspensive or cheap. They just SUCK.

My girlfriend has one and it was about $100 and it sucks. The sound quality isn't as good as what I have. Which is a BlitzSafe Ipod adapter. Which hooks right into your CD Changer jack on the HU. Her sound quality is ok for what it is, but nowhere near as good as mine. The FM Modulator is picky. If you have the Ipod on one position and then move it, it will get staticky.

I suggest looking for something better.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:22 PM

I would agree it sucks *****. I had one of the iPod FM things, and being in Toronto, or Montreal ( or any large city with lots of stations) means you're constantly searching for a clear frequency. I used to get soo frustrated, I just gave up on the whole thing. As I write this. I'm getting a direct input thing installed in place of the CD changer.

IT charges the ipod. and I control it over the CD controls. It also had a uniform output sound level. Sure it costs about 5 times, as much, but its worth every penny.

S.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:42 AM

I have a 2006 C70 with the 6 CD changer inside the dash. Do you know if there is a way to connect the iPod directly to the stereo? I have the Performance stereo. Thanks.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:29 PM

Agreed that FM modulators for iPods suck, in general. I have one from Belkin, and as others have noted you are constantly having to fiddle with it to avoid nearby stations, and/or the position of the transmitter. It's too bad that Volvo doesn't offer a way to upgrade the 2006 sound systems to the specs of the 2007 versions, which have the iPod jack. (Perhaps some third-party company exists that does this sort of upgrading, to factory radio units.)

The other solution that works pretty well, but only applies if your car stereo has a cassette player (getting pretty rare nowadays) is to get the iPod attachment that looks like a dummy cassett tape with a cord and plug coming out of it.). These sound much better than the FM transmitters, and there is nothing to fiddle with or tune. I have a cheap one of these that I use in my other cars that have a cassette slot.

BTW, casique, I like your choice of car colors. I am new to this forum, and am in fact getting a jump on it, since I recently placed an order for a 2007 C70 (still in process), same colors as yours (black with calcite cream interior).

Old 12-07-2006, 03:00 AM

ORIGINAL: rschleicher

Agreed that FM modulators for iPods suck, in general. I have one from Belkin, and as others have noted you are constantly having to fiddle with it to avoid nearby stations, and/or the position of the transmitter. It's too bad that Volvo doesn't offer a way to upgrade the 2006 sound systems to the specs of the 2007 versions, which have the iPod jack. (Perhaps some third-party company exists that does this sort of upgrading, to factory radio units.)

The other solution that works pretty well, but only applies if your car stereo has a cassette player (getting pretty rare nowadays) is to get the iPod attachment that looks like a dummy cassett tape with a cord and plug coming out of it.). These sound much better than the FM transmitters, and there is nothing to fiddle with or tune. I have a cheap one of these that I use in my other cars that have a cassette slot.

BTW, casique, I like your choice of car colors. I am new to this forum, and am in fact getting a jump on it, since I recently placed an order for a 2007 C70 (still in process), same colors as yours (black with calcite cream interior).
Thanks, the colors combination is striking, specially with the top down. I love the car, great ride, power and feel.