Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

want feedback before I BUY THIS

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want feedback before I BUY THIS

2001 Volvo C70 Turbo Convertible

need quick reply, looking at it Saturday. any advice or thoughts on what to watch out for or inspect?

DOES THIS MOTOR HAVE A TIMING BELT?
if a dealer serviced it would they have a record of the service to the belt?

price fair? what will cost me big bucks down the road?

Old 05-21-2015, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Yes it has a timing belt. If a dealer serviced it, it would only be in their records (not all dealers). There should also be a sticker indicating replacement but it might have fallen off.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zero tolerance engine ! If you can not find any record of the timing belt being replaced, vehicle has 100k miles or more on it, strongly suggest replacing it and tension pulley every 100k miles. Inspect all front end assemblies also, rear trailing links, struts, front wheel bearings. Had to replace all of mine on my 98 because of age not mileage. JMHO. Welcome to the forum.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:02 PM

Front window regulators also go bad a lot. Nice utube video shows how to replace most items.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

Yep - the underpinnings are shared with S70/V70s so if you need to see typical under the hood issues they are common to the engine series. This is the "low pressure turbo" model which trades high end (ie above 3000 rpm) HP for low end torque and better mileage. Key things about these cars - try to get a Carfax report on maintenance history and owner maintenance records. Look at the top/bottom of the engine for any signs of oil leaks. If no records on paper look around the engine bay - some techs mark on the engine (ie on the cover or airbox) when they did the timing belt. Generally its 7 years/70K miles. Check the serpentine belt (accessory belt) for cracking as well - usually that gets replaced with the timing belt etc. This is a full market price for the model - not out of range high or low but I'd expect 100% functioning parts - ie cold AC, no missing bits. A common failure problem is the electronic throttle - which can get dirty or fail out right - check out cold starts and cold then warm idling for any bumpiness. A big plus is if the car has been kept up with synthetic oil. Also take a look at the transmission fluid. This is not one of the Volvos with problem transmissions but you should consider replacing the fluid if its OEM and dark. Some owners have had problems that were corrected with dealer software updates - A Carfax report should note if all recalls and software updates were done by a dealer. Finally, I believe this model also uses the direct coil ignition - those generally get suspect after 100K miles or so look to see if they are new or something for a later replacement.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:43 AM
Default Common problems

mY 98 IS THE ONLY YEAR THAT STILL HAD A DISTRIBUTER AND COIL/SPARK PLUG WIRES ALL OTHERS HAVE COIL ON PLUG (COP). mINE IS A 2.3l HP TURBO, 55K MILES. A LOT OF MY PARTS HAD TO BE REPLACED BECAUSE OF AGE NOT MILAGE. GETTING ECM REPROGRAMMED IS ANOTHER TO DO COMMON FAILURE.HAD MINE DONE, SEND OFF GET BACK ONE WITH UPDATED SOFTWARE. THE SC901 STEREO CD CHANGER IS A COMMON FAILURE. CENTER DASH SPEAKER FAILURE COMMON. MOST PROBLEMS EASY FIX FOR A GOOD BACK YARD MECHANIC I DID MOST OF MINE.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:46 AM

My next repair is stainless steel brake lines all around. Using the best brake shoes but going to upgrade all caliphers next.