Volvo C70 This sporty coupe has a three-piece retractable hardtop for unsurpassed fun whether the the top is up or down.

Wobble when driving

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 04:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wobble when driving

Dear all,

I have a 2005 Volvo C70 T Cabriolet, I have a wobble of the whole car when driving normally or motorways, I have put 4 new tyres on it with balancing, also changed os/ns track rod ends and had the tracking completed, also changed the front break pads, all completed yesterday 21/09/19.
The cars performance is fabulous, but this constant woble and grinding noise when turning is disturbing.
Please can anyone help

Many thanks

Julian

Old 09-22-2019, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

Is the sound when turning different going left vs right? If so, the likely culpret is a wheel bearing. Does it click when doing a sharp low speed turn (say when making a "K" turn) - that's a typical sound of a failed CV joint in the axle - check the boots for any tears or grease leaks. Have you put the car on a lift or jack and spun the wheels by hand to feel any griding or hear any noises? Wobbles suggest something that rotates is not secured so that can be bearings or axles. Does the sound change when coasting vs applying power?

Old 12-17-2019, 06:59 AM
Default Lower ball joint ?

did you find cause here ?
wibble on acceleration around 40mph ?

Both our c70 (very slight) and friends c70 (much more) has this too. Someone mentioned could be lower ball joint ???

feels a lot like when ball joint goes out on 5 series BMW

suppose it could be drive shaft balancer but that seems uncommon failure

Originally Posted by mt6127
Is the sound when turning different going left vs right? If so, the likely culpret is a wheel bearing. Does it click when doing a sharp low speed turn (say when making a "K" turn) - that's a typical sound of a failed CV joint in the axle - check the boots for any tears or grease leaks. Have you put the car on a lift or jack and spun the wheels by hand to feel any griding or hear any noises? Wobbles suggest something that rotates is not secured so that can be bearings or axles. Does the sound change when coasting vs applying power?

Old 01-27-2020, 08:19 PM
Default Here are my ideas..

A bad wheel bearing typically won't cause a car to wobble. A defective wheel bearing is very easy to spot - you will get a horrible howling sound. For a wobble, I would be looking at the front lower control arms (a VERY common failure item on our cars). The second thing I would be looking at would be worn-out Front struts and rear shocks. I say these things because when I bought mine in Aug 2019, the car felt very "loose". I put on these parts myself and really transformed the handling of the car. These cars tip the scales at about 4500 pounds so suspension wear is very, very common. If you decide to replace these items, I highly recommend buying heavy-duty front control items and Bilstein B6 shocks and struts. Good luck and I would like to hear back on your repairs.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:09 AM

thank you lon888
I agree from the more I see here likely the lower control arms. I see it is common to buy lower arms with ball joints to replace as a set. Does not look bad except for extracting the ball joint from the steering knuckle (you tube). I also went back and checked what we replaced on our bmw when it had similar shake on acceleration and indeed was control arms (not ball joints as I posted earlier). Thank you for the post back. Just drives me a little nuts as our 2009 came to us with 38K on it and this shimmy but I suppose the bushings in the arms fail over both time and miles both.