Volvo Recharge Models Discuss the XC40 All-Electric and the XC60, XC90 & S90 Plug-In Hybrid Volvos here.

XC40 C40 Steering Wheel Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 08:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes. Just picked up my new 2023 c40 and noticed the vibration in my steering wheel on my drive home from the dealership. Happens once I hit 65mph. High frequency, like an electric razor. I love this car, but am concerned about this issue. Will continue to follow this thread.

Old 06-17-2023, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johny68
Hi,
My Volvo c40 when i drive around 65 miles per hour when i accelerate the steering wheel has a vibration, the vibration feels like more than a phone vibration, less than a massage device vibration, Does anyone has this problem experience?
I just got the C40 about 3 weeks ago and noticed the vibration as well. I had the dealership take a look at it and they said they could not duplicate the problem. I call BS on that because it's constant and if they actually drove it, they would feel it. Easy to feel and even hear it when accelerating at a decent speed. Driving up a grade on a freeway is the worst. Sounds like a factory defect, but no resolution. Love to hear if anyone gets theirs fixed.

Old 06-18-2023, 06:30 AM

In mid May the service manager at our local dealer (not where I purchased the car) told me he has several customers with the same vibration issue. He said Volvo was aware of the problem and was working on a solution. Could be as easy as a software adjustment. (I had hoped the "drivetrain optimization" may have been the fix in the most recent software update, but still vibrating after the update.) He said he's been with Volvo for 20+ years and he's confident the company will get this right. He said to give him a month and if he didn't hear back from me to call again. I called last week and he said Volvo was still working on this but insisted the company was aware of the problem and to give it another month. Having had the car now for a month and a half, I can tell exactly how fast I'm going by the vibration. Always starts at 64 mph and I get "chatter" on hard accelerations. I still love the car and hope they fix it. If they don't, then what?

Old 07-02-2023, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by johny68
Hi,
My Volvo c40 when i drive around 65 miles per hour when i accelerate the steering wheel has a vibration, the vibration feels like more than a phone vibration, less than a massage device vibration, Does anyone has this problem experience?
I just swapped from an 2020 XC40 to a 2033 XC40. Had it 3 days and the vibrations are crazy! My last one was smooth as anything and I loved that about it. This is worse than driving my clunker or a Kia I once had. I guess I need to contact the dealer to look into it but having found this thread im really worried. I loved my last one. It feels like Volvo really ruined a great car with this new model

Old 08-10-2023, 07:08 AM
Default Vibration XC 40. 2022 at 65-70 MPH only at speed

I had a 2019 Volvo XC 40 that vibrates at 65 mph. The dealer made many many changes to the car and could not resolve it. Volvo sent me a check for $1500 and could not resolve it. I ended up trading it in for a 2022 and now have 27,000 miles on it and noticed the same exact thing.

Old 08-10-2023, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by SGinz
I had a 2019 Volvo XC 40 that vibrates at 65 mph. The dealer made many many changes to the car and could not resolve it. Volvo sent me a check for $1500 and could not resolve it. I ended up trading it in for a 2022 and now have 27,000 miles on it and noticed the same exact thing.
Not good. I now have a case number with Volvo. Sounds like this may never be resolved. So, what next? Take $1,500 and accept that my car vibrates? Insist on a new car? Class action lawsuit? Any ideas? I'm still hopeful but becoming less so.

Old 08-10-2023, 09:30 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I suggest you insist that they take it back. Most state lemon laws would give you that right if the problem remains unfixed after a certain number of attempts or certain amount of time in service.

The following users liked this post:
See40 (08-29-2023)
Old 08-10-2023, 09:51 AM

I love the car otherwise... Thinking of asking for a replacement. Not all of them do this. My girlfriend drives an XC40 Recharge. Smooth as silk.

Old 08-14-2023, 01:58 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

If you otherwise love the car, you should be able to drive a replacement deal more easily than a buy back, although the lemon law may still be the best way to apply some leverage to make this happen. Either way, wishing you success in resolving the issue.

Old 08-29-2023, 10:35 PM
Default 527 miles I have the vibration Volvo dealer agrees cant be fixed

Sooo I have not entered into negotiations with my dealer yet- I want to give my C40 back and wait for the new 2024 model that fixed the vibration and gives 30 or so miles more of range. I dont know what my dealer will do- I have had the car less than a month and reported the issue the first day I drove it off the lot- any suggestions from those of you who have had this issue?

Old 09-08-2023, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dnikolica
Hello,
I have a C40 with this issue. my dealership recognized the vibration so far we have rebalanced and aligned tires, replaced the front drive axels, and got a whole new front motor from Sweden and installed it. The issue persists. The car but I can't stand driving it as I'm a commuter and spend 2 hours a day driving. Volvo engineering is attempting to find a solution and I'm still waiting for an answer. Sad part is volvo says they all do this. The XC40 Recharge allegedly doesn't have this problem. Maybe we should have bought that one?

Hello, in 2021, the purchase bought the Steering wheel voting problem in the XC40 model vehicle, while in dialogue with the authorized services for 2 years, they did not make any effort to find out what the problem was until now, and finally I examined it myself and made tests on many parts, I took advantage of the power of my profession to improve some parts. By identifying algorithms, making mechanical changes, I solved the problem and finally got rid of that annoying check. Then I reported the incident number to Sweden Volvo via e-mail in detail, they said they will contact us for help, but there was no further development, My aim is to contact Volvo officially and this chronic problem, which is present in thousands of vehicles around the world, is to be recalled by Volvo to take the necessary action, Meeting with Volvo reps in their regions report this situation by making the necessary information and we will officially present the distributor vehicle to Volvo.

Old 09-08-2023, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dnikolica
Hello,
I have a C40 with this issue. my dealership recognized the vibration so far we have rebalanced and aligned tires, replaced the front drive axels, and got a whole new front motor from Sweden and installed it. The issue persists. The car but I can't stand driving it as I'm a commuter and spend 2 hours a day driving. Volvo engineering is attempting to find a solution and I'm still waiting for an answer. Sad part is volvo says they all do this. The XC40 Recharge allegedly doesn't have this problem. Maybe we should have bought that one?

Hello, in 2021, the purchase bought the Steering wheel voting problem in the XC40 model vehicle, while in dialogue with the authorized services for 2 years, they did not make any effort to find out what the problem was until now, and finally I examined it myself and made tests on many parts, I took advantage of the power of my profession to improve some parts. By identifying algorithms, making mechanical changes, I solved the problem and finally got rid of that annoying check. Then I reported the incident number to Sweden Volvo via e-mail in detail, they said they will contact us for help, but there was no further development, My aim is to contact Volvo officially and this chronic problem, which is present in thousands of vehicles around the world, is to be recalled by Volvo to take the necessary action, Meeting with Volvo reps in their regions report this situation by making the necessary information and we will officially present the distributor vehicle to Volvo.