Volvo Recharge Models Discuss the XC40 All-Electric and the XC60, XC90 & S90 Plug-In Hybrid Volvos here.

XC60 TPMS Failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 08:53 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TPMS Failure

So I got into my XC 60 Recharge yesterday morning and it was chilly (~32’F). When I started the car I immediately heard a “bing” which was accompanied by a “TPMS System Failure” message in the instrument panel. There was also a flashing amber TPMS icon which then turned solid after about a min. The car was drivable, so I ran my wife to the supermarket. After completing our shopping, we got in the car to head home. Alas, the same error manifested. I called the dealer and they told me to bring the car in the next morning.

I am writing this note while sitting at the dealer as my XC60 is currently being evaluated. They said they need to read the codes which will determine a course of action. I will provide an update soon as the service department have a chance to diagnose the issue.

Have any of you experienced anything similar?

Old 12-28-2021, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 487 Likes on 468 Posts

the way the newer models TPMS works is it uses the ABS /TRACs system's wheel speed sensors to calculate rotational speed differences between each of the tires. Not sure about your model but there is probably a calibration mode where you check to ensure each wheel has the correct pressure then the computer measures and sets its baseline (at least that's how our Toyota works :-) ) There is some risk of a false positive (ie driving in deep, sticky snow can set off the TPMS, or servicing the tires or changing the pressure by large amounts etc) so you should check the owners manual to see if there's a user feature to reset/recalibrate (again Toyota has a button to press/hold... ).

So the dealer diagnostics should be able to say whether the wheel sensors have set off a fault code, whether there's a communications error between the various ABS/tracs/transmission/ECU models), whether a calibration is due or if there actually is an issue with one of the tires.

Post up how you make out.

The following users liked this post:
TK-421 (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 07:31 PM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

@mt6127 Thanks for the info. Dealer tech told me that the tires were inflated at the “high” end of the tire inflation range, therefore this caused the error to manifest. Again, the system faulted rather than stating that the tires we over/under inflated. So tire inflation pressure was adjusted and I was requested to keep an eye out in case the error should manifest again. I will be taking a road trip next month, so I hope this issue does not raise it’s ugly head?!?

So, this begs the question: what is the appropriate inflation for the OEM Pirelli tires?

Old 12-28-2021, 08:07 PM
Received 586 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by TK-421
what is the appropriate inflation for the OEM Pirelli tires?
There's a sticker in the drivers door opening with tire pressures on it.

Old 12-28-2021, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 487 Likes on 468 Posts

https://www.volvocars.com/en-ca/supp...ure-monitoring

Here's the online manual with some guidance, including how to save your tire pressure after checking/inflating with a guage.

As noted there is a sticker on the driver's side b-pillar (the post between the two doors...) - Volvo lists 35 PSI for all four wheels as the cold tire pressure.