Volvo Recharge Models Discuss the XC40 All-Electric and the XC60, XC90 & S90 Plug-In Hybrid Volvos here.

XC60 XC60 Recharge w/Harman Kardon system - no sound at rear speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2024 | 09:25 PM
|
Default XC60 Recharge w/Harman Kardon system - no sound at rear speakers

Our first Volvo (2024 VXC60 Recharge) and so far it's not been a good experience. Only 3 days in we had to return the car due to a Check Engine light. Upon dealing with that we found out that the software version in it was 2 versions old. IOO the software should have been updated as part of dealer prep before they turned it over to us.

ANYHOW, after spending some time with is car we have now found out that there is very little to no sound coming out of the rear speakers. We have the 600W, 14-speaker Harman Kardon system. It should sound fantastic anywhere in the car but it doesn't. There is no Front/Rear balance control in the audio settings, only options for "ALL speakers, FRONT ONLY or REAR ONLY" and no matter which one is selected all the sound comes from the front speakers. Changing the settings to "Surround" does not fix the front/rear balance but does change the sound in a weird way.

This is very disappointing for a $70k "luxury vehicle". I have seen other such complaints on the web and Volvo-fanatics replied that this is "normal" and "DSP-optimized for the driver". It is NOT normal. I have far better sound in my Ram 1500 Quad Cab pickup truck which also has a Harman Kardon "DSP-optimized" system. Passengers in the back seat can hear the stereo and we have a front/rear balance control in case they don't!

Anyone else have this issue with their Harman Kardon system?

Old 08-07-2024 | 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Our24Volvo
Our first Volvo (2024 VXC60 Recharge) and so far it's not been a good experience. Only 3 days in we had to return the car due to a Check Engine light. Upon dealing with that we found out that the software version in it was 2 versions old. IOO the software should have been updated as part of dealer prep before they turned it over to us.

ANYHOW, after spending some time with is car we have now found out that there is very little to no sound coming out of the rear speakers. We have the 600W, 14-speaker Harman Kardon system. It should sound fantastic anywhere in the car but it doesn't. There is no Front/Rear balance control in the audio settings, only options for "ALL speakers, FRONT ONLY or REAR ONLY" and no matter which one is selected all the sound comes from the front speakers. Changing the settings to "Surround" does not fix the front/rear balance but does change the sound in a weird way.

This is very disappointing for a $70k "luxury vehicle". I have seen other such complaints on the web and Volvo-fanatics replied that this is "normal" and "DSP-optimized for the driver". It is NOT normal. I have far better sound in my Ram 1500 Quad Cab pickup truck which also has a Harman Kardon "DSP-optimized" system. Passengers in the back seat can hear the stereo and we have a front/rear balance control in case they don't!

Anyone else have this issue with their Harman Kardon system?
It's been a while since your post. Were you able to get your rear speakers going?

Old 08-09-2024 | 09:17 PM
|

Originally Posted by Cruiter
It's been a while since your post. Were you able to get your rear speakers going?
Yes and no. There was a recent software update that said it affected the sound system but not sure what it did. When used in "surround" mode there is a bit more sound coming out of the rear door speakers then when surround is off but the rear speakers over the rear seats are still so quiet that you have to put your ear up them to hear anything (at a decent volume level in the front). Those overhead rear speakers aren't audible when sitting in the rear seats.

I still think it's strange that there is no front/rear balance control. What some engineer decided was "right" and hard-coded in is only THEIR opinion.

Last edited by Our24Volvo; 08-28-2024 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-26-2024 | 04:43 PM

I just got a "almost" new 2024 S60 Recharge... and I found this thread. I have the same issue. HK system..Almost nothing coming from the subwoofer (all bass up/ sub up) ..where is it anyway? Surround almost no effect. No front rear fader? Maybe theres an equalizer app on google play but no dice. Something loose or disconnected? Weak. The car is a rocket but soundwise..hmm.

The following users liked this post:
Our24Volvo (08-28-2024)
Old 08-27-2024 | 02:18 PM
|

Originally Posted by chiromike
I just got a "almost" new 2024 S60 Recharge... and I found this thread. I have the same issue. HK system..Almost nothing coming from the subwoofer (all bass up/ sub up) ..where is it anyway? Surround almost no effect. No front rear fader? Maybe theres an equalizer app on google play but no dice. Something loose or disconnected? Weak. The car is a rocket but soundwise..hmm.
Agree. Love the car but the the "upgraded" sound system is very disappointing given the price of this vehicle.

Old 08-28-2024 | 08:02 AM
Angry 2024 S60 sound sucks

I have a 24 S60, and I agree with you, but will say it like it is. The sound system sucks.
Very little sound from the rear, and very weak bass.
I had a 22 xc40 before this, and it had good sound. Since the 2022, they took away the EQ and also front to rear balance control. I took it back in and the salesperson told me "This is as good as it gets".
Say WHAT?? I paid $55k for this car to get the "Premium" sound, and "This is as good as it gets"?
It is all electronic. Why can't they give an upgrade download? Give us the EQ and Balance control back.
I rent cars often, and rental cars stock systems offer more bass and a more balanced sound.
This is enough to make me jump ship from Volvo.

Our24Volvo (08-28-2024)
Old 09-23-2024 | 02:38 PM

Beating a dead horse on this thread, but yes, it sucks. Every car I've ever owned had better sound....and I'm going back to a '90 hyundai excel. Thinking about adding an amp and sub in the trunk to help.

dansoldit (09-24-2024)