Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

05 S40 rear brake nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 S40 rear brake nightmare

Hello out there.
Just signed up looking for some help. I apologize in advance for the length of this post and any ranting on my part... BACKSTORY: I just wanted to put new rear rotors and pads on my 2005 S40 (easy, right?), then the 'fun' began. Snapped three studs off just to remove the wheel, necessitating hub/bearing replacement as well. Got part shipped to me a couple of days later. Then went to work on trying to take the two (13mm) caliper bolts off. They wouldn't budge. Soaked 'em with PB Blaster, lit them up with propane torch and they still didn't move. Managed to strip up and round out the bolt heads too, while destroying two wrenches. Even clamping on a vice grip and whacking with a hammer didn't work. Went and got a Irwin 13mm bolt extractor. Due to the very limited bit of room available, I had to remove the handbrake cable from the caliper and there's still not enough room to properly seat the bolt extractor (tap/hammer) firmly enough. This is where I'm stuck right now. I need to detach the brake fluid hose from the caliper. This seems to be seized now too. I can't win. Does anyone know how the hell to take the brake line off the caliper while the caliper still mounted in place without twisting the crap out of the brake line and wrecking that too? I'm on my last nerve and sick and tired of this frustrating BS!!! I can't be the only person cursed with issue (mainly due to the midwestern (US) climate, ie road salt/chemicals that have managed to seize up every threaded fastener underneath my car). I'm seriously at the point where I'm gonna start acting like a madman with tourette's syndrome while kicking my dog!! This stupid brake job should have been finished in about an hour or two and I've been battling this for over a week now and I NEED my car rolling (and stopping) pronto. ANY AND ALL ASSISTANCE IS APPRECIATED! Thanks.

Last edited by Mongoheadache; 11-03-2015 at 12:49 PM.