Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2000 S40 Problems-Solutions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 06:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 S40 Problems-Solutions

I have a few questions about my 2000 S40.

I perform all (almost all) of my maintenance and repairs and this summer has been killer: 2 drive shafts (with respective driveshaft transmission seals), 2 new front hubs, 2 new front wheel bearings, new rotors and pads on all 4, new turbocharger, timing belt, water pump, and tensioner, and of course, the notorious engine mounts: all were replaced with the exception of the right hand mount (replaced in 2004).

I have a new question though: I am having trouble pinpointing a new problem that I am having. When there is load placed on the engine, there is a crunch sound....very much like (almost identical) to the sound that an bad engine mount makes when it smacks into the retaining arm mounted to the frame. Trouble is...they are all new mounts, and the right mount, I inspected before I reassembled, is in good form. One problem I have considered is....I did have it to a mechanic to check that I lined up the timing right: when I took the timing belt off, the exhaust cam (CVVT) slipped and I couldn't get a straight answer from any Volvo techs that I spoke with about whether I could just rotate it back into place. A couple of them said that I had to pull the camshaft cover and align the camshafts with a special tool and then reinstall the CVVT unit, a couple said that it was ok to just rotate back into place and that, since, it was oil fired, it would reset, and still yet another one said....wait for it....the camshaft cannot slip, because it's locked to the engine. So, after talking to about 8 Volvo (dealer and independent) techs...I decided that I was over my head and I paid a mechanic to line it up right...he just rotated it back into place...right there in front of me and it didn't even set a check engine light. I told you that story to tell you this story: while he had the engine mount off...I don't remember him having an enginer support to hold up the engine...so the engine was sitting on the remaining mounts....do you suppose that they sould have been damaged and are the source of the crunch sound? What else might it be? I haven't had time to get back under the car yet to rule out the mounts...by the way is there some lubrication compound that I should try (should've used) because in wet or even damp weather the crunch goes away.

Other questions: What is the likelyhood that there are bad parts in the car that need to be replaced but aren't setting a MIL? I mean, bad coils, plugs, or sensors? The S40 Oxygen sensors are just competely out of control. We should go to war over their expense. Can anyone recommend a replacement schedule for any sensors or coils, or if they are bad, will they definitely set a check engine light?

Turbo changing advice: make sure that you replace the supply lines and drain lines...you're in there anyways and it's only another 30 bucks.

For those that are considering an S40 (or any new Volvo)...please really think through it. My family has owned a couple of Volvos...and they quite simply, DON'T make them like they used to. The reliability simply isn't there. Furthermore, the safety is really overhyped. Maybe in the 70s and 80s when a million airbags and 50 trillion crumple zones wasn't as standard as it is today, Volvo safety features really stood out (frame strength, force directing beams, roll protection), but today the margins are a lot closer and, infact, I think that several manufacturers have surpassed Volvo's safety standards on their vehicles. The techs are also a problem for me. Call me old fashioned, but when you bring a car to a professional to get fixed and they say things like...we don't know what's wrong or whatever you state isn't a problem, it's standard and oh by the way leave 150 bucks at the counter, it really turns me off. For example...with my first engine mount failure, I had it in to the mechanic maybe 4 or 5 times (3 of which were still under warranty) and they never could find it (or said...it's supposed to do that)....I had to find it. For them it was always just fine. A lot of shops have technicians that I really don't believe are all that qualified for the hype that Volvo spins on "Factory Maintence" fix it right the first time type stuff. Would you believe that the Volvo technician that 'discovered' that my inner Cv joint was bad actually told me that it was a standard maintence item..as if it were an air filter or transmission oil that needed to be regularly replaced (no I did not misunderstand him trying to tell me that they need to be checked regularly). I really have to say that I am VERY disappointed with the Volvo products and the service. They really don't stand behind their products as well as a premier (or any) company should...not even close.

Thanks

Old 09-27-2005, 09:06 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: 2000 S40 Problems-Solutions

Are you 100% sure the Axle nuts are tightened all the way?
That could make a noise as well it the Axle is rocking in the hub.