Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2001 S40 Driver window stuck in down position

Old 07-26-2010, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 S40 Driver window stuck in down position

I pressed the auto down button today and the windo went down and then it sounded like a clunk and when I press on the up control it just makes motor noise but no movement of window.

Can I access the window and components by removing the inside door panel and besides the obvious screws holding parts on do I have to use a putty knife to pry and clips off or is there a special way to do this?

Anyone else have this type of problem and if so what is the normal solution. I think the window is just off the track as the motor still seems to work.

Any help is very appreciated.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:30 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Sorry for the slow response. Most car windows have what is known as a window lift tranmission. If the switch is good, and you hear the motor, the mechanical part that actually lifts the window up has gone bad. My Jeep had a cable pull through a piece of plastic so it went down and would not come back up. Volvo windows are usually in to good to fall out of the track. And if that happens the window would usually fall down crooked.

I have never removed the door panel on a S40 but the clips that hold the door panel off usually simply pull off. But there is usually a screw or 2 in the speaker area, and in the door handle area and a clip or 2 around the edges that you may have to remove as well. Search for door panel removal before you tear it up. Door clips that break during removal can usually be replaced for like $1 each.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is relatively easy to access the window regulator with simple tools. You have several screws to remove before prying off the panel and removing the plastic sheet backing.
To loosen the window from the regulator the two bolts holding it, it must be about 8-10 inches from the bottom of the door. In your case you will have to pull on the window to raise it. There are two holes drilled in the door to access these bolts. Once out examine the regulator for a broken or cracked pulley, this should be obvious. I had the rubber drive gear go out inside the motor/gearbox. Just removed the rubber teeth only and left the rubber hub. Filled in around the hub with JB WELD, the 24 hour set up kind which replaced the teeth I took off. Works great over a year later. Cost you about $5.00. If a pulley went bad recommend you replace it with a steel one, done this on other Volvos for a permanent fix.