Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2001/S40 Starting problems Indicator light Car with red X through it flashes, wont start

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001/S40 Starting problems Indicator light Car with red X through it flashes, wont start

Ok, I have read all of the posts for starting problems and I am probably going to replace the fuel pressure regulator as soon as I can, but there is another symptom I have that I dont think I have seen here in the forums. When I go to start the car after running the car or after it has been sitting in the sun, I turn the ignition, and if the problem is going to occur, the light on the dash with the car with the red x on it is flashing. Guaranteed if I try to start the car when this light is flashing I get nothing. If I turn the key off and then back on and if the light is not flashing then the car starts fine.

What is this light, and why will the car not start if it is flashing? Will the fuel pressure regulator fix this problem. I have pulled the codes, and nothing yet.The problem isgetting the starter to engage and turn the engine over. I have tested the starter and it is good as well.

Works great with no problems if I turn the key off and back on again. Car runs fine with no problems after that.

Tech, if you have any suggestions please help. Anyone else have any suggestions, please help!!!!

Old 09-20-2008, 07:57 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: 2001/S40 Starting problems Indicator light Car with red X through it flashes, wont start

The light is the immoblizer light. It means the car is immoblized.
Maybe the key is going bad or the antenna ring.
Also maybe the battery is getting weak as well.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:14 PM
Default RE: 2001/S40 Starting problems Indicator light Car with red X through it flashes, wont start

Just had the engine replaced about 3 months ago at dealership. Long story , but the car has been fine for about 2 months, now this. It has a brand new battery, and I have removed the connections and cleaned them, but it still does it.

Tested voltage on battery and that is fine, alternator is also charging as normal.

You have to turn the key sometimes three or four times to get it to stop flashing and start.

If it was the key, would I just go have another made at the dealership?
If it wasthe antenna ring,then can you tell me what is the antenna ring?

So this doesnt sound like a fuel pressure regulator to you then?

Any help is appreciated

Old 09-21-2008, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Do you have a spare key to try using?
The antenna ring is the black part around the end of the ignition switch where you insert the key.

Does the light flash as soon as you turn the key on or after you try cranking it?

No the fuel pressure regulator is not causing the light to come on.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:11 PM

I dont have a spare key right now. I am going to get one made on Monday. Then I can try that and let you know if it fixed it or not.

The immobilizer light comes on and starts immediatly flashing as soon as I turn the key to the on position.

I now know that if this light is flashing, I might as well not even try to crank the car over, as it wont. I just turn the key off, and then back on. If the light isnt flashing when I turn the key back on, then it will start with no problems.

Is there a way to test the antenna ring on the car to see if it is going bad?

Thanks for saving me some money, as I was going to order that regulator on Monday.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Not really a way to test it.
It is also kind of a pain to replace as well.