Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

2005 S40 - wont start, engine doesn't turn over, no error msg

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 S40 - wont start, engine doesn't turn over, no error msg

So I had my first major event with my 2005 S40 yesterday after having bought it used a year ago which has kind of left me confused and a little spooked.

I went to start my car yesterday after just having driven it a few hours prior and the car wouldn't start no matter how many times I tried. All of the power equipment came on (radio, ac, lights etc) but when I would turn to position 3, nothing happened. There was no error message on the screen and the engine wouldn't even attempt to turn over. There was also no audible noise of any kind to suggest the car was even attempting to start up. Just silence.

I used a testor on the battery just to be sure it wasn't a battery related problem and the battery had full power. After doing a quick google search, one thing that I came across was that if the immobilizer kicks in, the cars ignition and fuel pump are disabled and it seemed to match the symptoms of what I was experiencing. However, it seemed like everyone else who had this happen had a message on their screen alerting them that the immobilizer had been in effect. Also, I'm not sure what could have triggered the immobilizer to kick in if that had been the case.

I tried the following to no avail:
-disconnecting and reconnecting the battery
-using a different key fob
-putting the car in neutral and trying to start it

I left the car alone overnight and when I went to start the car this morning, it came on like nothing was wrong and again there was no message or error code of any kind to explain why the car didnt start.

Anyways, sorry for the long message but I wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar experience or could share any insight into what I may have experienced. I was also lucky that I was home and it was a Sunday so I didn't need to use the car but I'm worried if it were to go undiagnosed, I might not be so lucky as to where I'll be when it decides not to start up again. Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 06-13-2012, 07:58 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Bad ignition switch. Once it happens it will start happening more often. The ignition switch itself is about $130 plus shipping. Replacing it is not fun. I had to cut some of the plastic reinforcing under the dash in order to make enough room to get the old switch out and the new on in. VIDA says to remove the dash which was not an option if I could help it. I removed the instrument cluster which allowed access to the back side of the switch to remove the bolts. The plastic edges are sharp here and cut me several times. You cannot see the switch either so you remove the bolts by feel. Ahhh, the memories. Good times....or not. Took a couple hours trying to figure it all out.
S40 2004-2008 Ignition Switch 30667664 OES
VOLVO S40 IGNITION PARTS 2000-2012 at Swedish Auto Parts

Old 06-27-2012, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Hudini. Thanks for the response. It was much appreciated.

I just wanted to update this post in case anyone else down the line has a similar issue.

I actually hadn't had a problem since my original post and it was like the problem just went away. However, yesterday I had brought my car to the dealership to have the cabin air filter changed and low and behold when the mechanic went to start my car to bring it in to the service bay, it didnt start!

It turns out it was the starter motor that was sticking and the mechanic had to tap the starter motor to get it going again. After he finished installing the filter, he went to start it and it started without problem but its only a matter of time before it happens again.

I havent had it fixed yet as the dealership wanted approx $600 to replace it (427 for part plus labor) whereas the part can be bought on FCP for $160. I plan to look into my options more carefully this weekend and will provide update after replacement. Thanks again.