Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Aftermarket stereo in an 05 S40 (is this possible?)

Old 07-04-2019, 01:42 PM
Question Aftermarket stereo in an 05 S40 (is this possible?)

Hi. I'm new to the forum, but I'm hoping someone here can help me out. I just inherited a 2005 S40 with only 75k miles. The car is awesome. I think it looks great and it's nice to drive. But I'm not really loving the lack of features with the radio receiver (AM/FM/CD that's it) or the sound quality in the car. I was thinking that I might upgrade the system, and maybe get something with bluetooth or even Android Auto integration. I've been told that Volvo sells bluetooth adapter at the dealership, but it's pricey for what you actually get.

The techs at Crutchfield say that I shouldn't replace the factory radio because it's integrated into the dash, and there's a serious chance that the car might not run properly if I went ahead with replacing it. Has anyone done this successfully? I'm sure there have to be people with upgraded systems in Volvos somewhere.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:00 PM

I've seen youtube videos of it done, but i'm not sure how much work goes into replacing the radio. since it's integrated with the AC controls, i opted to do the option of adding an FM modulator. it was a lot of work, but it's ok. problem is, i don't like a lot of things laying around the inside of my car. and if i want to play my ipod, i have a couple of different wires all around the center console. i wouldn't mind it for longer drives, but driving to work, i needed up making a CD and playing that to listen to music. sucks, but not many options.