Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Brake fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 02:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake fluid change

Hello everybody,

Back again with yet another question.

My car needs a brake fluid change as part of its service. However i try to do most things myself. But i am a bit reluctant with thisbrake fluid change. Due to the obvious safety hazards.

Can some of you tell me if it is a job which is fairly easy to do. Or is it better to let a experienced car mechanic do it?

According to the Haynes manual it is a relatively easy job but whats your experience?

Thanks in advance. FT

P.S. Next to my normal job i am a part time aircraft engineer so i have seen bigger challenges in my life. But i am just unfamiliar with this kind of jobs on cars.

Old 03-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Default RE: Brake fluid change

it should be almost similar to aircraft brake systems.If the brakes reservoir don't have a drain point then drain off the old fluid thru the end of both brake hoses at the front brake dics area by loosening it fully and allow it to drain off and you need to remove the reservoir cap as well.After that ensure that o ring washer or seal is replaced before you tighten back the brake hoses to ensure good sealing.Remember to use correct specs of brake fluid.Then proceed with brakes bleeding.You should know how to do.

Vollic

Old 03-13-2006, 09:08 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

You could also use a old Turkey Baster and suck out all the fluid from the bottle and then fill it with new fluid then bleed the system.

I would start from the point furthest away and work to closest. Bleed till it all comes out clean.

Old 03-15-2006, 08:05 AM

Thanks Guys,

Already expected it wasn't to difficult but just wanted to make sure.
Will give it a go.

FT

Old 04-03-2006, 06:18 PM

Just one more question on this subject. I cant find the answer to this one in the Haynes manual so maybe one of you can help me out.

Does somebody know what the capacity is of the brake fluid reservoir?

It is a bit of a shame if i buy 3 liters when i actually need 5 liters or the other way around. I know you need a bit more because you are going to loose a bit of the new fluid when you flush and bleed the system but a rough figure will help me a lot.

Thanks, FT

Old 04-03-2006, 08:20 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the deal. Buy a liter of ATE Super Blue Dot 4 fluid. Either purchase a Mytvac or a pressure bleeder.............I now use the pressure bleeder as it is a bit easier. Do as TECH mentions, use a turkey baster and remove the fluid from the master cylinder resovoir. Jack up your Volvo and............pay attention as this is IMPORTANT................remove the RIGHT rear wheel as it is furthest from the master cylinder. Use a hose on the bleeder valve and bleed the fluid UNTIL THE BLUE SUPER BLUE FLUID APPEARS. Cap off the valve and repeat the same procedure with the left rear , then the right front and last with the left front IN THAT ORDER. The resovoir of the pressure will hold the liter of brake fluid and you will use mostof it in doing the job. Just make sure that the container does not empty out or you will be starting all over again! The reason I use Super Blue (aside from its high boiling point) is that when the old fluid is flushed, you will know it as the new blue fluid starts coming through the bleeder hose. The next time (In two years max) you change your fluid, use ATE regular Dot 4 as it is amber in colour and you will know when the "old" blue fluid has been flushed. Lastly............remember.............brake fluid makes for a real nifty paint remover so be careful..........no slopiness allowed.
REG