Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Buying a 2007 S40, need some answers plz.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 2007 S40, need some answers plz.

Hi everyone! I hope to be a regular member soon, maybe this week ;-)

My wife and I are considering buying a 2007 S40, mostly for her as I own a 2006 X-Type. We have a deal in place, just thinking about it for a day or two. We I simply have a couple of questions I would appreciate some answers to that can only be answered by owners whom had the car for some time. [ol][*]Does the CD player have any issues playing CD-Rs or CD-RWs?[*]Is there any vibrations in the doors or pillars from the stereo or road?[*]Does the chasis tend to flex a lot over time to the point where the noise gets to be annoying when turning or going over bumps?[*]How good is the paint on the S40 to withstand chips from highway drives?[*]Does the interior plastic make noise over time (door handle, brake lever, etc.)[*]How does the T-Tec seating surface hold up over time?[/ol]These are all concerns I have after owning a 2004 Saab 93. It was, in simple words, horribly built and put together.

I appreciate all your help in advance.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:36 AM
Default RE: Buying a 2007 S40, need some answers plz.

As far as i know the interior build quality of a Volvo is really good.

as for your CD-R's, any stereo should play them. As long as they are created properly. best bet is make one, then stick it in the floor model. but there shouldnt be any issue. you will always have some vibrations from the road and it depends on how loud she plays her music. Ive only known really old cars to flex over time with the chassis, I one wouldnt imagine that happening on an S40 due to its size. not much to flex. volvo paint is as good as any other. Better i think then some. The interior shouldnt give you an issue. but ive never owned an S40. I have no clue how the T-Tec seating holds up.

I know this isnt really as diffinative as you would want. New cars are often worrysome prospects, I would check out www.edmunds.com for the year make and model. see what it rates.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah CD-R's and CD-RW's should be fine if you make them properly. I.E. not MP3 style. You need to convert them into a Windows Media File and this can be done through Windows Media Player.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:55 AM

aaacccccctualy mp3 is best on any setting. Windows media player involves custom codec from your computer or whatever version of WMA your playing. Not only that WMA's take up way more space then mp3. If anything would not work in a stereo wma would be it.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: TheSteelKnight

aaacccccctualy mp3 is best on any setting. Windows media player involves custom codec from your computer or whatever version of WMA your playing. Not only that WMA's take up way more space then mp3. If anything would not work in a stereo wma would be it.
Most stock headunit cannot play MP3's, thusly you have to convert it to something that it can play. Which in this case is a Windows Media File.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:20 AM

1. Does the CD player have any issues playing CD-Rs or CD-RWs?
As mentioned by others, your best bet is to burn a CD and take it with you to the dealer. Unless you buy the premium sound package, you won't be able to play MP3s burnt on a CD, you can only play CDs burnt in traditional format. I have not had any problems with CD-R's, but i also make sure to buy CD-R's that have silver faces from certain manufacturers. I think the quality of the CD-R disc makes a difference.

2. Is there any vibrations in the doors or pillars from the stereo or road?
Nothing that i can detect. Ride is quiet and has remained quiet for me. Of course, if you are listening to bass thumping music with the volume turned-up high, your speakers will vibrate (this is just physics). If not, you won't. I really like the sound system in the S40. If you aren't setting the sound to max, you'll be fine. But as mentioned before, bring in a CD and listen to it as YOU normally would. This costs you nothing.

3. Does the chasis tend to flex a lot over time to the point where the noise gets to be annoying when turning or going over bumps?
Can't say, only been driving for 10mos. haven't noticed flex.

4. How good is the paint on the S40 to withstand chips from highway drives?
I'm not sure how to evaluate chip-resistance. Haven't noticed any defects in my paint, it has held up well for the past 10mo...

5. Does the interior plastic make noise over time (door handle, brake lever, etc.)
Door handles, brake lever, glove box don't rattle all in mine. Quiet ride.

6.How does the T-Tec seating surface hold up over time?
If you like leather, i say spend the extra money. I have T-tec and feel that it will probably show wear over time. So if you can afford it, go for leather and you won't have to worry about t-tec. Perhaps others who have had their cars longer can comment. DOn't get me wrong T-tec is nicer than cloth interiors from other manufacturers. I just find i am EXTRA careful with it. I did treat with spray-on scotchgard from day one to resist stains.

ENJOY YOUR NEW S40!

Old 09-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car can easily read my burnt cds i give it, no prob. shouldnt be an issue for you either

Rich

Old 09-11-2007, 12:22 PM

Thanks for all the information guys. Just called the dealer and told them we're taking the car tonight. Definitely a sharp looking car in Passion Red, first non-black I've ever purchased...but it is for my wife, I'l still have my black X-Type.

I look forward to being a regular member.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:49 PM

I own a 2007 S40, and my wife drives a 2007 V50, so maybe I can help a bit.

1. Haven't tried CD-RW discs, but CDRs play fine. I have the optional 6-disc changer, and loaded with mp3 files I can easily load 60 hours of music or 100+ hours of talk shows in the stereo.

2. None, but the 17-inch tires on the sport package do cause elevated noise on some road surfaces. Worse in the V50 than the S40.

3. This chassis will not flex over time.

4. I haven't noticed any paint chips in either car yet, and we live near a rock quarry. Your mileage may vary.

5. No rattles at all.

6. We have leather in both cars, but I worked at a Volvo dealer's service department for 10 months recently and didn't notice any unusual wear on the T-Tec equipped cars.

Enjoy the S40. I love mine.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:42 PM

Got the S40 :-)