Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Ecm 28

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 01:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Ecm 28

Can someone please give me some advice?!!! I posted a thread on here a few weeks ago regarding the ECM code 16. Since then, Ive gotten that adapter cable installed, and the coolant sensor replaced as well as my thermostat and my check engine light is STILL ON!!

The problem is I spent nearly $400 getting the front oxygen sensor replaced and when the check engine light came on, i took it back to the shop and they told me i may need a new catalytic converter. I then got two second opinions and they both came up with the oxygen sensor faulty signal. I took it back to the shop again where i paid the $400 and said i had gotten two second opinions, if they can please take a look at it again since the part is under warranty, and basically they said that its a good sensor, and they "checked the oxygen sensor performance and found it is working within parameters. Check performance of rear oxygen sensor. Found sensor monitor swinging back and forth. This much rear sensor movement indicates poor catalytic converter health. Recommend replacing catalytic converter."

Once I was told this, I had made the frist thread on here because i didnt know what to do, and I found out about the adapter cable. So i took my car to an independent volvo mechanic, different then who replaced the oxygen sensor, and he mentioned the cable, and got a code for the coolant sensor. he did not get a code for the catalytic converter, nor did he recommend a replacement. Because at this point, I wanted my check engine light off so it can pass smog, I went ahead and had the cable installed and coolant sensor changed as well as thermostat.

Well.... CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS BACK ON! grrrrrrrrrr. The independent volvo mechanic told me to bring my car down there, but in the meantime, I had my dads friend whos a mechanic at a dealership run a diagnostics test, and the code ECM28 came up which is my front oxygen sensor!!! But hadn't I just spent $400 getting that replaced? And when I had the shop who changed it, check it out, they told me its working within the parameters??? Can someone please help? What is going on? Do you recommend i go back to the shop, now a 3rd time, and let them know ive gotten yet ANOTHER reading, and i still keep getting a faulty signal for the front oxygen sensor??:c onfused: help please!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:57 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

This from your first post:

Originally Posted by davidx1994
The only way I got the code to go away and stay away is by going to the dealer and having the ECM updated. It went away completely after that. I replaced the o2 sensors (both) countless times to get it to go away but it never did. The adapter cable made the code stay away for a day or two but it came back after that. I bet if I just did the software update I would have never had to replace the o2 sensor in the first place.