Volvo V70 Super capacity, super looks, super performance... this wagon turns heads and can still get the job done.

ECM Hosed in 2000 V70?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECM Hosed in 2000 V70?

Has anyone heard of the engine control module (ECM) being damaged by high resistance caused by a corroded ground cable? That's what Volvo service is telling me is the cause of the "check engine" light coming on my 2000 V70, 5-speed.This is not caused by animproperly replaced gas cap.When this started over a month ago, the electronic diagnostic codes told them toreplace the O2 sensors. Butthe problem returned within a week. They took the car back, drove it for a week, gave me a loaner. They couldn't find anything wrong - no 'check engine' light and no diagnostic codes.I took it back and the 'check engine' light came back on within a few days. Now, they've have had the carfor 2 weeks diagnosing the problem. They tell me they have had regional 'experts' in, and have had Sweden on the phone to figure this out, because they've never seen this before.</P>

Now, their story isthey found a ground wire had corroded where it was attached to the car in the front bumper area - and the determination is that thishas caused increasing resistance in the electrical harnass, which has basically fried the computer chip in the ECM and is sending different error codes,. </P>

The cost torelplace the ECM - parts and labor -is estimated at $2500-$2700!! Volvo, nor the dealer, will offer any concessions - the car has 70K miles and off warranty. I've argued that - at minimum - something must have been improperly installed to cause this - if, in fact, this has "never happened before." I've also been told by a mechanic who works privately on Volvos that he has never had to replace a ECM on any Volvo he has serviced. He respects the dealer service department - and even does business with them - but he thinks theyhave been on a fishing trip and are still guessing. He said the best I could do would be to seek a written extention to their standard 30-days parts and labor warranty on their work, because if they have been messing around with the wiring harnass, there'sno telling what could have been compromised in the process.This would make them stand by their work, one would hope. </P>

I'd be interested in any feedback this forum mightoffer.</P>

I bought this car - my first Volvo - used at 40K miles. Other than this nightmare, it is in perfect condition. It isdriven daily to work by my wife, not beaten up or abused. Ilove this car, but I'm disappointed that such a problem has happened. I thought I would avoid problems like this by buying a Volvo. Shame on me. </P>

</P>