Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Engine damage from oil leak

Old 06-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine damage from oil leak

I drive a 2005 Volvo s40 2.4i. 105k miles. Very good condition.
I was driving home, and noticed my oil light came on. My car was driving fine, and I was close to home, so I manually shifted the transmission and tried to keep the lowest rpm's possible.
Eventually, started hearing some knocking. Unfortunately, had to drive bout a mile till I could pull over.
My car shut off completely. I didn't feel any jerks or any shakes like the engine really locked up. When I try to start it, the engine seems to try to start, but is just too dry for the starter to get it to.
My actual questions:
- Would the car know to shut off electronically? Or was it a engine failure that made it shut off?
- Chances of locked up engine?
- Whats the worse case senecio's cost? Engine wise. Not worried about the oil leak at the moment.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

There is no oil pressure cut off switch. If it locked up, its damaged and will need to be replaced. Cost depends on new vs. used and who installs it.

Last edited by ES6T; 06-27-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cody.states
I drive a 2005 Volvo s40 2.4i. 105k miles. Very good condition.
Until now.

I was driving home, and noticed my oil light came on.
That light means you have zero oil pressure and you should shut the car off NOW.

My car was driving fine, and I was close to home, so I manually shifted the transmission and tried to keep the lowest rpm's possible. Eventually, started hearing some knocking. Unfortunately, had to drive bout a mile till I could pull over.
Why had to? Bear chasing you or something like that?

My car shut off completely. I didn't feel any jerks or any shakes like the engine really locked up. When I try to start it, the engine seems to try to start, but is just too dry for the starter to get it to.
My actual questions:
- Would the car know to shut off electronically? Or was it a engine failure that made it shut off?
Engine failure.

- Chances of locked up engine?
100%

- Whats the worse case senecio's cost? Engine wise. Not worried about the oil leak at the moment.
Worst case cost is a brand new engine installed by the dealer. Just guessing but I'd say five to six thousand bucks. Used engine installed by an independent maybe three thousand.