Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Engine Swap, Not Gonna Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MOuntainman
But when dry the numbers were 120 25 100 110 ( This was 2 weeks ago, don't hold me to those numbers, but one cylinder was definitely that much off). Guy who sold it to me also admitted to coolant, oil mix occurring and that he changed oil ASAP ( I guess coolant will corrode stuff?). What will leak-down test indicate that will change the "necessary game plan"?
That's about right for a blown head gasket. If you had a bad ring it would be zero and wouldn't get much above 50 wet. Also, if you had a bad ring, it would be dumping fuel right into the crank case. (I've found this out the hard way on a Jag I used to have). Pull the head and check the condition of the cylinder walls. If your oil looks like the pic Hudini posted, then drop the oil pan and get that crap out of there. (again, learned the hard way years ago. Figured an oil change was good enough and 100 miles later, the rod went thru the block) Take the head to a good machine shop… one that will check the valves haven't warped and will also do a vacuum/pressure test on the head.

Originally Posted by Random
Can you post a pic of this with the nipple circled?

BTW, great pics you have been posting, they load quickly....thanks for optimizing!
Sorry, don't have any. I sold this car 2 years ago. (was nice to turn a profit )

Old 02-21-2016, 07:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hudini
For me a freshening is new bearings. The rings are a bit more involved but still easy enough once the engine is out, especially if you already have the head off to replace the head gasket.

Read this from Mobil on a leakdown test. https://mobiloil.com/en/article/car-...-leakdown-test

As far as removing the engine I'm no help as I've never pulled one from this model. When I fixed the valves on my 2001 I removed the head with the block still in the car. Maybe it is simply a head gasket and you won't need to pull the engine.
OK, so if I have hiss in oil during leakdown test, that means that I should suspect the rings or cylinder bores. If I have bubble in coolant, that means head gasket. So, basically, if I have bubbles in coolant I should take apart the engine where it is, as HG is bad. But if no coolant in bubbles then have to overhaul in order to get to piston rings or check for out of round cylinder bore ( luckily I am a machinist with dial indicator bore gauges). Basically, no sense in tearing apart a good head gasket. I'll have to check the rod and main bearings to see if they need a freshening. When turning them over, couldn't hear any scraping or other weird sounds. But main seals will definitely get changed. Thanks for all the help.