Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Engine vacuum

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine vacuum

Hi folks,
Newby member here in need of help. Volvo S40 2003 1.8 non GDI engine petrol. 70,000 miles.
When cold runs fine, upon reaching normal running temp it starts to squeal not unlike a slipping belt.
Removed the serpentine belt, squeal still there, replaced the timing belt tensioner, squeal still there, replaced the water pump, squeal still there!
We were sure it was belt related, how wrong can you be? Starting to get expensive now!
Letting it cool down removes the squeal. As it warms up we removed the engine oil filler cap, all seemed fine, when it gets to full temp and the squeal starts it is now very difficult to remove oil filler cap because of a strong vacuum in the engine/crankcase! Seems something is turning off or on at normal running temp and causing this engine vacuum. Any ideas folks?
Thanks for reading.
Regards

Old 06-12-2015, 11:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably your crankcase breather system. Not familiar with the 1.8.

Google around, lots of info on squealing Volvos.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:03 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Too much crankcase pressure I've heard of but not too much vacuum. Too much pressure is caused by a clogged PCV system, namely the air/oil separator on the front of the engine under the intake. The noise originates at the oil dip stick. Removing the dip stick eliminates the noise. That said I think you have something else going on.

I would grab either a mechanics stethoscope or a piece of rubber hose with one end placed at your ear and move the other end to search the engine bay until the noise is located. The on/off cycling you mentioned could be the vacuum pump for the emissions system. (Assuming the 1.8L UK version is like the 1.9L turbo version in North America) When it's making the noise also try removing the petrol cap.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

migbro, hudini,
thanks for your replies folks, much appreciated. Your on the right track I believe, I spent hours last night on various forums etc looking for clues and finally found the answer (I think) on youtube. The video shows EXACTLY my problem and the noise sounds identical.
Hudini - I've provided the link because you say you've not heard of too much vacuum, this only applies to naturally aspirated engines which have a diaphram valve built in to the oil separator, turbo versions do not have the diaphram I understand but will stand correcting.
I did not realize this was an American forum until just now.
Thanks again and greetings from the UK in "flaming June" the best and most beautiful month of the year with everything fresh and in full bloom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmHM-jVsmOs

Old 06-17-2015, 09:35 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

There is a specific UK version of these forums. It requires admin permission to join I believe.

Personally I'm in Shanghai where the Plum rainy season is going full tilt. I am sick of rain now. We have a few more long rainy days ahead before the summer truly arrives.

And I do miss England. I lived there from 1989-1992 in the town of Bicester while at RAF Upper Heyford and again from 1998-2001 flying under contract to JMC Airlines in various cities (Manchester, Luton, Gatwick). My very first Volvo was a right hand drive.