Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

A Few Problems- starting,DSA, and winter mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Few Problems- starting,DSA, and winter mode

I have a 2000 S40 1.9t, with 95k.
All of this seemed to happen all at once, but I doubt its related. First off I'm having troubles with starting the car. I'll put the key in, turn it, everything electrical comes on, but it wont turn over. It does it very randomly, but it has been doing it more in the cold weather. However the first time it happened was about 4 months ago, so it was warm out. I live in Ohio by the way. It has also been doing it more and more. I have taken it in twice to my dealer, and of coarse they are scratching their heads.(but not hesitating to still charge me)
Secondly, my DSA light is stuck on. Which in my car is a triangle with a swerving car in it. I think this is just electronic.
And lastly, hopefully. My car came with a winter mode option, it has a dummy light that is an upward facing arrow. As of late it comes on when i start my car, blinks, and stays on. This option does change how the car drives by shifting the gears slower, but there is a button to manually push to switch it on. ( There is also a sport mode) Normally when I push the button the light comes on, and likewise, off when I push it again. So my car has been getting put into winter mode without me doing anything. I will start the day with it blinking, and the car running in winter mode, then the car will go back to driving normal, but the light stays on.
ANYONE please help. Any advice would be great. THANKS!

Old 01-24-2006, 12:56 AM
Default RE: A Few Problems- starting,DSA, and winter mode

I forgot to add this. I went to autozone because of the engine light and these are the codes they gave me-
P0705 P0107 P1618 Thanks again!

Old 01-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds like you have codes in the ABS and in the Transmission.

To find out exactly what you will need to have all the codes in the car checked.

Try to find a indy shop that has the tools to pull the codes from all the systems.

Also look at this site it will help you see what codes Auto Zone pulled.

http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/diagn...uble_codes.htm.

Next time it won't start see if there is a light flashing on the dash. A car with a X through it.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:49 AM

Thanks alot, that site gave me these definitions for the code from autozone. Now I'm just not sure what they mean exactly.
p0107- manifold absolut pressure/barometric pressure circuit low input
p0705- transmission range sensor circuit malfunction (PRNDL input)
However it did not have an explanation for P1618 for some reason it skipped that number.
I hope i dont sound dumb, but im not sure what you mean by indy shop. I will definately look for that little light the next time it doesnt start. I really appreciate the help. If i could get a little clarity on those codes that would be great. Thank you so much!

Old 01-26-2006, 01:56 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

By indy shop I mean indipendant shop. Someone that only works on Volvo's.

Your car has 2 map sensors. One is under the Cover on the firewall that covers the O2 sensor wires. I think the other one is under the front of the car. (That shouldn't make it not start)

The trans one points towards the PNP switch which might stop it from starting.

The other code might only be a Volvo code.

Old 02-06-2006, 06:56 PM

i had the very same prob last year i had to get my tranny replaced whe ni took it to the dealer they couldnt figure out what was wrong with it at first but 2 months later my tranny is shot so be careful an take it to the dealer

Old 10-16-2017, 06:27 AM
Default flashing light of car with X through it

Originally Posted by tech
Sounds like you have codes in the ABS and in the Transmission.

To find out exactly what you will need to have all the codes in the car checked.

Try to find a indy shop that has the tools to pull the codes from all the systems.

Also look at this site it will help you see what codes Auto Zone pulled.

http://www.2carpros.com/kpages/diagn...uble_codes.htm.

Next time it won't start see if there is a light flashing on the dash. A car with a X through it.

What about this flashing light of car with X through it? I have it coming on alongside the DSA light and the 1998 s40 T4 wouldn't start.
What does it imply and what is the way out?