Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

front strut mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front strut mounts?

Has anyone every changed these? I have a deep thud when I either go over a bump or hit an uneven patch of road. I have already replaced sway bar, both links. Tie rod. This is the last option to repair. If anyone can give me am insight on a easier way to get it done. Much appreciated

Old 10-22-2014, 01:08 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It's really easy with the correct tools. A strut spring compressor and an impact wrench (electric impact is fine) makes the job go quick. Once the strut is free of the car I place it in a vice, then use the spring compressor to remove pressure from the strut mount. Now use the impact to quickly spin the nut off the strut shaft. No need to hold (and damage) the strut shaft. Then it's a matter of removing and replacing the parts in order.

There are 2 pieces I have replaced. The strut mount and the strut bearing. The metal strut mount has the inner rubber part that when fails makes the noise. The bearing is what allows the strut to turn as you turn the steering wheel. It's a simple plastic thing, kinda large. It might be in good shape and you can throw a little grease on it to give it longer life.

Name:  Volvo-S40-FRONT-SUSPENSION-ASSEMBLY-2001-2004_zps004b96af.jpg
Views: 4694
Size:  14.7 KB

Old 10-22-2014, 08:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ditto to what Hudini said. Job is not too bad but you'll save yourself a bunch of hassle by making sure you have access to an impact gun.

You may want to consider going OEM on the mount (306652259) as many of the aftermarket ones have been known to fail within a couple of years (my experience as well).

VIDA suggests the following torque values for bolts:
- 2 spindle strut bottom bolts: 90Nm
- Top centre bolt (good luck measuring torque): 65Nm
- Top three bolts: 40Nm
- Top bolt for ARB link: 45Nm

To tighten the top bolt back up, put all the strut bits back together and put the top nut on by hand. Release the pressure on the spring and then take an impact gun and tighten the bolt until the upper mount begins to spin. Stop tightening when it spins - technique demo'd to me at my local volvo dealership. If your shock spins before the upper mount does, you'll need to wrap some cloth around the very top of the shock (just under the mount) and apply gentle pressure with a vice grip to keep it still. This is not always required.

Interestingly VIDA does NOT indicate that you need to put the weight of the vehicle back on to the strut assy before tightening the two bottom bolts...

Be very careful with those darned strut compressors. If one starts to move towards the other start over. I had a close call when the two snapped together and bruised a few of my fingers. Scared the heck out of me.

Oh - and don't do what I did which was to forget to put the plastic cap back on to the top of the bearing. It stayed stuck on my old bearing so kinda forgot about it.

You will also do well to loosen up the top centre bolt (without removing it!!!) BEFORE the strut comes out. Makes it easier later on.

When putting the parts back together, VIDA also mentions that the mounts for "comfort" springs should be installed such that the hole in the strut bottom mount lines up with the hole in the upper mount. Apparently for "sport" the holes need to be offset by 20deg. Also make sure that your upper mount is angled so that the two metal plates come together facing the front of the vehicle.

Lastly, VIDA also suggests greasing the outside of the bearing before re-installing.

As far as steps - here goes:
1) Jack front end up
2) take wheel off
2B) Spray ARB link and two bottom strut bolts with loosening agent
3) Detach ARB link from strut
4) Turn wheel towards side that you are removing strut on
5) Loosen top bolt but do NOT remove (at top of strut in engine bay)
6) Remove the brake cable from strut
7) Remove ABS cable from strut
8) Remove to bottom bolts (keep bolts steady with 18mm spanner and use impact wrench on nuts). Turning the wheel should give you plenty of access to the two nuts which face front
9) Pull the spindle/hub assy out of the bottom of strut
10) loosen top three bolts of strut (in engine bay). Make sure you hold on to strut when loosening last bolt so that strut does not fall on abs or brake cable
11) remove strut from vehicle
12) compress spring using spring compressor tool
13) take top bolt off ONLY ONCE SPRINGS are fully compressed
14) take all parts off taking not of order
15) inspect condition of all parts
16) put spring back on
17) put rubber ring into underside of mount and install mount making sure holes are aligned (top and bottom) and that rubber ring is snug
18) grease bearing and install
19) put cap on bearing
20) put top mount on
21) Hand tighten top nut
22) take spring compressors off ensuring that bottom of spring is resting on stop
23) tighten top bolt
24) put strut back in vehicle

Last edited by pierremcalpine; 10-22-2014 at 08:59 AM.