Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Headlights not turning on

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 12:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights not turning on

Hi,

Today, I discovered that the scratching noise my car was making when I was braking is likely to be the brakes and the discs themselves and I will likely need to spend a good amount of money changing them all on Monday. No biggie. However, while I was driving at night I couldn't help but notice that the area in front of me was not illuminated at all.

Turns out, the headlights are not turning on. I checked the fuses, they all seem to be ok. I checked the bulb on one side and it seemed to be in ok condition (they had both been changed 2 months earlier). What else should I be looking at?

Seriously though, it is not cool that this decided to give out on me now. Not only did I have to do a synthetic oil change a few weeks ago, but a few days after the oil change and air filter replacement the washer pump decided to die on me. The brakes and the headlights giving out at the same time confirms my assessment that my Volvo will always give me trouble near the beginning of spring every year.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Headlights not turning on

the only way to figure it out would be a process of elimination, start at the fuse panel.... test before the fuse, after the fuse, then try the headlight sockets, it will quickly help narrow it down... if theres power after the fuse, and not at the headlight socket, youll need to trace the headlight wiring to make sure that it is not damaged