Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Help! I screwed up my cam timing 2000 s40 1.9

  #41  
Old 11-15-2015, 10:26 AM
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 8
Default Vvt

Hi Pierremcalpine, thank you for your PM. I'm working on increasing my post count to enable my PM privileges. As soon as I can I'll message you as requested. Thank you again.
 
  #42  
Old 11-16-2015, 04:25 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 670
Default

Originally Posted by Ryanthefireman View Post
Hi Pierremcalpine, thank you for your PM. I'm working on increasing my post count to enable my PM privileges. As soon as I can I'll message you as requested. Thank you again.
Just email directly at [email protected]
 
  #43  
Old 10-03-2016, 09:49 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 5
Default

Just a couple of quick questions having read all the post's on this subject, On my car the cam sensor is facing the other way (as in on the can nearest to the front of the car) is this a problem that I should correct? (my car is a s40 1.6 2003/4)
Also is there a pdf download of the engine manual?
Many thanks (in advance)
Carole
 
  #44  
Old 10-04-2016, 09:11 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 670
Default

Originally Posted by caroleuk View Post
Just a couple of quick questions having read all the post's on this subject, On my car the cam sensor is facing the other way (as in on the can nearest to the front of the car) is this a problem that I should correct? (my car is a s40 1.6 2003/4)
Also is there a pdf download of the engine manual?
Many thanks (in advance)
Carole
Hi Carole,
I don't think that's a problem. Some of the different variants have a slightly different set-up (ex: some have the VVT on the intake cam and some have it on the exhaust).


As far as engine manuals, ideally you would get your hands on a copy of VIDA which can be purchased on ebay for about $70. it is a Volvo-issued program that lists all parts, service instructions and CEL codes. you can also get a DICE reader which will team up with VIDA to allow you to communicate with the car and get additional details on CEL's + some ability to program features, reset counters, reset the service light etc. The challenge is to have an older computer nearby that will allow VIDA to run.


You can also visit Genuine Volvo Parts Online | Volvo Parts Webstore to get a good view of engine parts, etc if that helps. Just enter your car specifics and you'll see what you are up against.
 
  #45  
Old 10-04-2016, 02:19 PM
Member
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 50
Wink This website has great engine diagram and others

Yeah!
This is a good website with enough diagrams of the engine and others. Check it out there, before the repair manual this is my resource of parts.

Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
Hi Carole,
I don't think that's a problem. Some of the different variants have a slightly different set-up (ex: some have the VVT on the intake cam and some have it on the exhaust).


As far as engine manuals, ideally you would get your hands on a copy of VIDA which can be purchased on ebay for about $70. it is a Volvo-issued program that lists all parts, service instructions and CEL codes. you can also get a DICE reader which will team up with VIDA to allow you to communicate with the car and get additional details on CEL's + some ability to program features, reset counters, reset the service light etc. The challenge is to have an older computer nearby that will allow VIDA to run.


You can also visit Genuine Volvo Parts Online | Volvo Parts Webstore to get a good view of engine parts, etc if that helps. Just enter your car specifics and you'll see what you are up against.
 
  #46  
Old 10-04-2016, 03:34 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 5
Default

Thank you pierremcalpine and rudva Some great advice there
I have now ordered my parts and stripped down the areas around the head ready to do the dephaser fingers crossed that this will cure the running issues. It looks like the sensor has already been changed as I find and old one still attached to the plug and hidden under the plastic cover! (that had been disconnected so as to hind the problem from the last hapless owner - disgusting behaviour on the part of the dealer!)
So with the advice given and having read this terrible story I think I will be OK changing it.
 
  #47  
Old 10-05-2016, 01:08 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 5
Default

Ok I now have a new dephaser pulley but after very close inspection it does not have a timing mark?
Now I think I'm in trouble and going to need some serious help!


Or... Can I just fit the cam (with the cam's properly locked in place) and make my own timing mark?


Any help please, I can't afford to screw this one up that's why I'm having to do it myself.
 
  #48  
Old 10-06-2016, 07:49 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 670
Default

Originally Posted by caroleuk View Post
Ok I now have a new dephaser pulley but after very close inspection it does not have a timing mark?
Now I think I'm in trouble and going to need some serious help!


Or... Can I just fit the cam (with the cam's properly locked in place) and make my own timing mark?


Any help please, I can't afford to screw this one up that's why I'm having to do it myself.
As long as the cams are locked you can install the new vvt however you like. Just make sure that you torque it back up to spec. 80nm as I recall. Don't quote me on that though.
 
  #49  
Old 10-06-2016, 04:53 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 5
Default

Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
As long as the cams are locked you can install the new vvt however you like. Just make sure that you torque it back up to spec. 80nm as I recall. Don't quote me on that though.
Thank you for that Pierre that has put my mind at rest, just need my locking tool to arrive now and it will be job done
 
  #50  
Old 10-22-2016, 06:37 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1
Default

Ok guys, I have a 2000 S40 1.9 T. a buddy of mine took thehead off died last month and now I need to get this back together for his wife.No reference marks were left behind to use upon reassembly. I’m back togetherto the point of the cams. I have the Reluctor ring notch at 6.30 7 o’clockposition on the exhaust side. Intake cam could be 180 out. (Not sure how you know its in the proper time)Both t-belt sprockets are off and of course there are no dowel pins as referencepoints, not sure where the sprocket goes on the cam either. So I’m at a loss. Howthe heck does this thing go back together without any basic markings? FYI Ihave the proper cam tool .
Thanks in advance
 
  #51  
Old 10-22-2016, 08:29 PM
Hudini's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 2,749
Default

The cam tool is supposed to only fit one way. If you look at the cuts on the ends of the cams they are not exactly in the middle. Each cut is slightly off center. Install the cam holder tool so that it lines up with the cuts perfectly. Don't force it. The cam tool protrusions fit into the cam grooves easily.

Make sure the crank mark is lined up on the front cover. If you need to rotate the engine do it slowly so that you don't bend any valves. Once the crank is aligned and the cams are aligned you can install the cam gears to line up with the cuts in the plastic cam belt cover.

Clear as mud?
 
  #52  
Old 10-22-2016, 08:34 PM
Hudini's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 2,749
Default

Caution this is not my picture of an S40. It is to show the cam cuts being off center.

Name:  camshaft_placement_before_application.jpg
Views: 4387
Size:  25.2 KB

Here is the cam holder tool. Protrusions fit into cuts:

Name:  VolvoCamTool_zpsf24ae350.jpg
Views: 3780
Size:  16.4 KB

Installed:

Name:  camtool.jpg
Views: 4269
Size:  95.6 KB

Crank:

Name:  volvocrankgearmark.jpg
Views: 4303
Size:  72.9 KB
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
jmwidmer
Volvo S60 & V60
7
07-18-2011 05:42 PM
stook
General Volvo Chat
2
06-21-2005 06:24 PM
volvobacon
Volvo 240, 740 & 940
1
04-20-2005 02:04 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help! I screwed up my cam timing 2000 s40 1.9


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.