Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Instrument Light Replacement s40

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Light Replacement s40

I need to replace the instrument light bulb for the tachymeter on my '01 s40. I took off the panel that's under the steering column, hoping that would be an easy way to get to the back of the panel, but no such luck.

Does anybody have step-by-step instructions for accessing the back of the panel to replace the bulbs?

Also, how many bulbs are there and any idea of the part numbers? I figure once I get back there, I might as well replace all of the bulbs so I don't have to do it again anytime soon.

Thanks very much.

Cliff.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:35 PM
Default RE: Instrument Light Replacement s40

Lower the steering column as far as it will go.

Remove two self tapping screws from the trim edge on the instrument panel and press down at the centre top of the trim to release it from the clips.
Remove three self tapping screws holding the instrument panel in and pull the panel straight out.
Disconnect the electrics.
Do not at any time hold the instrument panel face downwards.

There are seven bulbs for illumination of the gauges. As for part numbers there would appear to be different sizes in there so I am not even going to hazard a guess which is which.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:48 PM

bill, thanks very much. i was kind of thinking i was going to have to remove the entire dash.

ok, so i removed the panel as per your instructions...i can't seem to get the cluster out of the dash completely. the steering wheel is in the way even when it's lowered as far as it will go.

i did manage to jimmy the cluster around so i could get one of my big fat hands back there.

indeed, there are 7 lamps: 4 large ones with black bases and 3 smaller ones with green bases. the black ones illuminate the gauges and the green ones illuminate the clock, odometer, and info center.

none of them seem to have a part number stamped anywhere. the only markings are as follows:

on the black ones: 'TSD V-2'
on the green ones: 'Toshiba V-2'

i'm wondering if the bulbs actually come out of the bases and you only replace the bulb? or is the bulb/base a single unit?

as long as i'm replacing the bulbs, i'd kind of like to change the color maybe to red or blue (the bulbs that are in there now are clear).

any help on what to order or a good website that might have a search for these particular bulbs?

thank you again.

cliff.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:57 PM

To get the steering column lower you should find two bolts under the bottom shroud. Take these out and the column will come down.

As for bulbs, I know where to get them on this side of the pond but not over there. Sorry.

I think you have to replace the holder and bulb on those but I have heard of people who fitteda bulb from Radio Shack in the old holder.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:48 PM

OK, so i couldn't find replacement bulbs.

Instead, I simply bought a Sharpie magic marker, and colored all the bulbs red! Quick fix, it worked great, everything is now lit red, and it only cost me $1.49!

cliff