Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Instrument Panel not lighting

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Panel not lighting

Hi everyone. Long time listener, first time caller here!

My girlfriend has a 2004 S40. She took it to her regular mechanic yesterday for a spring check-up. They changed the oil and took off the snow tires. Beyond that, car got passing grade. When she left the mechanics, everything was fine. But after driving a few minutes, the instrument panel when black, and the indicator lights stopped working.

On the instrument panel, the gauges (MPH, fuel, tach) work, but no display. The indicators are not working front or back (and don't show on the blacked out panel). Everything else seems operational: running lights, headlights, high beams, horn, radio, etc, etc).

I cannot find a fuse for the instrumental panel (and doubt one fuse would also impact the turn signals). I'm guessing a short in the electrical somewhere, but don't even know where to begin looking. And as luck would have it, it's a holiday weeked, so I can't get back to the mechanic for a few days.

Hoping someone here might have a trick up their sleeve for me.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Old 04-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

One of the two instrument panel connections could have come loose. Try pressing the IP back into the dash. Don't break the clear plastic face please.

The male IP connectors are mounted to the inside of the dash. They slide a bit left and right to align with the female connector slots on the back of the IP. It's possible the IP could have come loose with enough vibration. The IP is held to the dash with screws though so they would have to be loose also. You get to the IP by first removing the 2 screws holding the plastic IP surround. Lower the steering wheel as far as possible to remove the surround. You will see the screws holding the IP behind the surround.