Volvo S40 The S40 is Volvo's most affordable sedan with all the amenities of a luxury sports car.

Long cranking before start and some hesitating after start

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Long cranking before start and some hesitating after start

Hello,
My 2001 S40 has long cranking before it starts, and when it starts it does so at very low rpm around 200rpm and it is hesitating for 5-10 seconds, it would sound as it would die or stop but it miraculously does not. Then after 30-seconds the above idle 1100-1200rpm takes over and/or the choke does its job, while still some hesitation as if some fuel was not properly burned or something. I have a light with engine logo lit on the control panel and I smell some fuel as it was not burned just after starting. After that ackward 3-4minutes the car runs smoothly although the engine light is still ON. The winter is coming and I am worried with the cold this would hinder my car usage. I have changed the Fuel Pressure Regulator without any improvements, and the throttle valve without any other results. I think it might be something related to fuel or air sensor or something. Thanks for your expert feedback.

Old 09-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome to the Forum!

Can you pull the trouble code causing the Check Engine Light? In the states you can get the local auto parts store to pull the trouble code for free. Do you have something like that in Canada?

Old 10-01-2012, 02:36 PM

Check the vacuum line to your fuel pressure regulator, if the vacuum line has fuel in it, it needs to be replaced.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:11 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CaliVolvoGuy
Check the vacuum line to your fuel pressure regulator, if the vacuum line has fuel in it, it needs to be replaced.
OP wrote: "I have changed the Fuel Pressure Regulator without any improvements..."

Old 10-02-2012, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by migbro
OP wrote: "I have changed the Fuel Pressure Regulator without any improvements..."
Do you have access to a scan tool? Getting the diagnostic trouble codes would be of great help to you in solving your problem, even a simple one can help guide you to your fix... Its a good investment as changing out parts that are functioning properly will just be throwing away good money.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:41 PM

Could be your fuel pump. I had a guy change mine for 8 hundred bucks.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:47 PM

Thank you all for your feedback.
to tell you the truth, the parts that I have said we replaced, were all guaranteed functionality used ones; new parts cost above 180$ each plus tax. Unfortunately, we have nothing for free here in CAnada, you have to pay for the air that you breathe!!! but following your advices, I have made a choice of ordering that scanning tool, worth the investment to discover the codes that hopefiully would guide me with this site's members feedback. it is being shipped as I type and would be waiting for it. I have not checked the vaccuum fuel line but would do this weekend.Meanwhile the starting after long crancking is getting really bad and no smoke but the fuel smell from the exhaust for a couple of 3-minutes and the car puffing, if I press on the gas it dies. magically after the 3minutes, the car engine runs regularly. About the fuel pump, this is a good suggestion that I had thought about before, But i would try changing the fuel filter first then get to that 250$ plus item... let me start with the scanning tool once received and I would feed you....

Old 10-20-2012, 08:57 PM

I have received the delivery of the ordered OBDII scanner, ran it and found error codes for the MAF sensor;it was damaged and was the root cause of erratic engine behavior including exhaust smoke, hell at stop signs and misfire of engine sprkplugs; just got one from used car plot and replaced it; no more hesitating after starting and idle is much more stable. That said the long crancking still is present.... back to square zero or almost....